Thursday, September 21, 2023

It's Autumn!!

 Yay! Autumn is my favorite season!  This is my first Friday Fave Five for Fall.  These are just five of the things that I am thankful for this week.  Follow this link-- Fave Fives with Susanne --to join in expressing your thankfulness.

1.  As I just wrote, Autumn is here.  I love fall!  Truly, I am thankful for all the seasons, but for me, fall is best.

2.  Now that we are retired, The Professor and I often take an extended trip during autumn.  This year, we planned a road trip to visit our son, Chaplain Dan, and his family in Arizona.  So yes, we are on the road.  I am thankful that we can do these trips.  (Yes, Ohio, we'll be back soon!)


If you see a photo of that arch, where was it taken?*

*St. Louis, Missouri (crossing the Mississippi River)

3.  The Professor and I love botanical gardens and nature reserves.  So, obviously, we would find gardens to visit on our journey.  This garden, Shaw Nature Reserve, is west of St. Louis, MO.  We spent almost two hours there, hiking and driving around the areas.



Eleanor always finds the best places to sit and rest during our hikes.



4.  We chose this route so we could follow the Santa Fe Trail, which started out on the same path as Lewis and Clark took for a ways into Missouri.  Then the Oregon Trail, California Trail and Santa Fe Trail split off.  Already, on our first day, we have learned so much about these Pioneer Trails.  I am thankful that my husband loves history like I do and enjoys nerding out about this kind of history.




5.  While we are away, we have several different people keeping watch on our house, our garden, our bee hive.  I am so very thankful that we live near our two daughters and that they take care of things while we are away.

12 comments:

Faith said...

LOVE these faves....I've only seen the Arch once when i thought i was supposed to live in Missouri and get my masters in music therapy at University of Kansas City. Long story....i only lasted 2 weeks. hahahah.. GOD had other plans.

LOVE the hike!!! Now that's one my husband would be willing to do. We love hikes that also incorporate some history. Kind of like the one I did yesterday although Dave couldn't go with me as he had to work.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to see your son! I've never been to Arizona.

HAPPY AUTUMN!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great trip. We used to live about 20 minutes from the Arch for five years in the 90s. We never went to the area where you were. Looks like a nice area to hike. I can't wait until we retire because we plan to do more fall traveling as well. Have a great autumn. See you again soon!

nikkipolani said...

Boy, it looks like you had a trifecta of faves this week: autumnal historical(ish) roadtrip with gardens and hiking and your husband who likes all the same things! Wow.

Susan said...

How nice that you can take that educational road trip. I read a whole series of books called Wagon's West. It was all about the pioneers and how they traveled by Wagon from MO to the west coast. There is a different book for each state. You learn all about the history of the state. Have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it will be a fun trip! Ending with what will be even better. I hope all goes well. Mary

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a wonderful trip and chance to see some of the country as well as your family. I love Autumn the best as well. It's just so pretty.

aspiritofsimplicity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aspiritofsimplicity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara H. said...

Autumn is a nice time to travel. It's fun you have similar interests. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Gattina said...

Oh that's nice to travel when you are retired ! We did that too before Rick suddenly didn't want to move anymore, that was the beginning of his Parkinson. But of course we didn't know!
I continue my sale, I wished I could fall asleep and wake up in my castle in my bed and everything is behind me !

Susanne said...

What a fun road trip. I always love trips that involve something historical about them too. I've enjoyed seeing where Eleanor ends up to have her picture taken.

ellen b. said...

I love a well laid out road trip! Sounds like you are making the most of your trail. Enjoy your reunion with your Arizona family.