Thursday, March 21, 2024

Spring!

 Happy Spring!  We took a spring break trip this week.  Our friends T and S mentioned that they were planning a trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and asked if we wanted to join them.  It took about 3 seconds for us to yell, "Yes!"  And since it is now Friday, I decided to share our Five Faves from our trip to the beach.  What is Friday Fave Fives?  It's a way for people to contemplate about their blessings and share five of them each Friday with Susanne as our host.  Follow that link above to join in.

1.  I do need to preface our trip faves with one other blessing.  Sunday was my birthday.  So many people from all over the world sent messages, emails, cards, texts, facebook posts to wish me a Happy Birthday!  I was thrilled and overwhelmed with all the love from so many people.  In person, we attended church and then enjoyed a Chinese dinner at a local restaurant with family.  All my children and grandchildren and my brother either wished me Happy Birthday in person or called me to talk with me.

2.  OK, on to our beach trip.  On our way to Outer Banks, we caravanned with T and S.  In spite of some unexpected snafus like missing turns and exits or following the wrong car (that was hilarious), we managed to arrive safely.  Did you know that OBX is the abbreviation all the locals use for Outer Banks?

3.  We found wonderful coffee shops and restaurants.  Oh my.  The food was so yummy!

Eleanor especially LOVED Front Porch Cafe in Nags Head (and Roanoke Island)!

4.  All of us are beach bums.  We love the beach.  So, walks on the beach were the best part of the trip.






5.  We enjoyed some sightseeing adventures.  Ft. Raleigh (where it's all about the lost colony on Roanoke Island).  Cape Hatteras lighthouse and Bodie Lighthouse.  The Wright Brothers Memorial at Kitty Hawk, where Orville and Wilbur Wright flew the first airplane and changed the world.

Bodie Lighthouse

Cape Hatteras lighthouse (undergoing some renovations)


Eleanor Elizabeth loves flying in airplanes, so she especially enjoyed the Wright Memorial at Kitty Hawk.


An amazing life size replica of the 'first flight'.



I am so thankful for a wonderful spring break trip!


9 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Linda! Looks like you had a wonderful birthday. I love the beach too. I hope to get to our beaches this year. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Monica said...

Happy belated birthday! I love OBX! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Faith said...

Happy (belated) birthday in case I missed it on FB.

What a fun trip. Yes I actually knew that about OBX because TONS of people I know have been there. Up here in the Capital Region of NY you'll see many bumper stickers with OBX on them My youngest sister's in laws moved down there several years ago once they retired. In fact, I believe that's the coffee shop that my sis and her daughetes always rave about....i'll ask her but the name sounded familiar to me.

LOVE all the ocean and lighthouse pics. Dave and I LOVE lighthouse tours and walking the beach. OOh....hopefully our summer includes a trip to the Atlantic.

HAPPY WEEKEND

Tom said...

...thanks for taking we laong, this beach bum needs some sand between the toes.

nikkipolani said...

Despite the challenges, your trip to the beach sounds like so much fun. I mean, there's coffee and shops and ocean!

Ah, the following-the-wrong-car misadventure. Those are not very funny in the moment!

I like that Eleanor is getting to travel again and seeing aaalll the sites.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a delightful trip. Doubly fun when you get to be with friends. The history of that area would be interesting, too. Did you make a new outfit for Eleanor to wear on this trip? A trip is a great way to celebrate your birthday! Mary

Sandi said...

Great photos! That's Ocracoke Island in my photo. 🙂I love Nags Head too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you enjoyed your time at the beach. Sounds like a nice trip. Happy belated birthday! Have a good weekend.

Barbara H. said...

Belated happy birthday! Your trip sounds absolutely wonderful.