Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Autumnal Sock Knitting

I imagine that someone who knows me well might look at these photos of autumn orange and yellow palettes and think, "Where is my friend Willow? And what have you done with her?" because I seldom, if ever, select any yarn, other fiber, clothing, accesories, furniture or anything else in orange, brown or autumn yellow. I just don't like those colors. However, at The Knit and Crochet Show last month I received two skeins of Red Heart sock yarn in self striping bright orange and brown which I traded with someone for this mostly green yarn. I have been knitting the first sock and been fascinated to watch the patterning appearing right on my needles (size 2US). Caveat: This does not mean that I love love love the colorway of this yarn; I'm just 'experimenting' in expanding my appreciation of color.
Looking at the sock's colors, the green, blue, orange, yellow, purple (purple?!), I was reminded of April Cornell who said in one of her books that she took her inspiration for her colors and designs from nature. That got me looking at the colors of a Southern California autumn in a new way, a new light, if you will, and I discovered that my sock yarn should be called "SoCal Fall".

Purple and Yellow

Yellow, Orange, Red


Everywhere here in Southern California during October, I can see --



'my socks'.

15 comments:

ellen b. said...

Beautiful SoCal knitting :0)
So walking tomorrow??

Lovella ♥ said...

Ironically .. I love those colors. . but alas. . .I must wait my turn again. . .your knitting is so inspriational. . everytime I look at it. . I think .. I could start again.

Ally Jay said...

I never fail to be amazed at how the patterns appear on these yarns. I would love to see the process that puts the colour onto the yarn, and how they work it out. For me it's like magic. Love the sock colours

Marg said...

What a creative flair...
That's so true about our fall colors. There's obviously new blue out there except for the occasional blue sky.
Is that easy to do? I have tackled tukes and was wondering about something new for this winter.

Allie said...

It's beautiful! I love those colors!

Knitting Linguist said...

Yes, yes! That's autumn here in our world. Great pictures, and nice comparison, too :)

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I really love this colorway! I'm an "autumn" so that's why. Everything about it says "garden in fall" to me.

Hugs,
Cindy

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Yes, that is a good match for colors! So Cal Fall....amazing. The Fall colors are my own personal favorites, and I just love that shade of green in your yarn. The self-striping thing is intriguing....I like that. I wonder how long it took someone to figure out how to make that sort of yarn??

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Hurray for SoCal sweet gum trees! They at least get with the season, and you are right, give great color combination inspiration.

Just watch out for those autumnal Santa Ana winds!

Flower said...

Color theory is so amazing to learn and you can be confident that these colors do compliment each other. It is very interesting to see how the yarn is making a pattern that is so attractive! :)) Your socks are the best socks ever!!

Jane said...

Your socks are beautiful, lovely colours and self patterning yarn is such a clever idea. Your little bunnies in the previous post are so cute hope they are happy in Canada. Jane x

Anonymous said...

Those socks are so pretty! I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Hi Willow, I'm glad you are looking at nature in a new way. This happened to me when I started to make patchwork last year. Suddenly I could see colour combinations and it was like Ihad been going around blinkered before that.

Bethany said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these socks!!! These are definitely "Bethany" colors!!! I am amazed that the pattern is just forming from the yarn. How do they know that?!! I want to try that now! I'm on a crocheting phase right now (it's faster than knitting and good for my lack of patience) but I prefer the knit stitch any day! I love these Willow... just keep at it! :) I love the photos you found of autumn too! Beautiful. I'm moving to California... right now!

Anonymous said...

Oh I haven't picked up knitting needles for years...now, I'm wondering why? Nanas should knit, right? LOVE the socks!