Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Sweet Farewell

Anna and William, those little twins--I knew they were up to something last week! They were sitting out of sight of Eleanor Elizabeth and whispering. Anna was saying something funny to William, and William was laughing and hiding behind his ears.

"Mama!" they called. "Mama, we heard 'bout an adoption program for bunnies wanting to immigrate to Can'da. Can'da sounds like a really fun place to live. Can we go? Please, Mama, please?"

I thought about it for awhile and finally agreed. After all, they are of age and they are such very GOOD bunnies. And they're twins and ALWAYS do everything together. I knew William would be responsible and take care of his sistertwin, she who has a little tendency to run off too fast for lettuce or carrots or some falling leaf. I had a long talk with them about their manners and about COLD weather (that's ok, Mama, they said, after all, we have fur, they said) and about people who say, "Eh?" in Can'da.

Anyway, off they ran to Lovella's farm. They took a few days and we, Lovella and I, think they might have taken a little detour somewhere, a little side trip somewhere, a quick detour around Oregon or Washington, maybe. They did arrive and like the GOOD bunnies they are, they called right away to let me know they are safe and they LOVE their new home and the FARM and their new friends. They even think Can'da's cold weather is fun. "Water falls from the sky, Mama! It's really crazy. Like taking a shower outside."

Eleanor and Edward miss them terribly. I'm certain there will be many phone calls and letters and emails. But we all wish them well and know they will love being Canadians, eh?

14 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Willow .. . the bunnies are settling nicely . .sitting and watching me sitting in the leather club chair .. never too far apart from each other. I've lit candles today .. .such a blustery day. . and they are mesmerized by the flames. . .staring straight into them .. . not moving a muscle.

They especially miss the new boy .. and can't wait for cousin camp. . .I've assured them they'll have two little friends. ..

They send XOXOXOX's
All for now. .

ellen b. said...

Ha! You are on top of your game with this post Mrs. 1st grade teacher. Made me smile...

Mama Mia said...

Oh my goodness, I love them! :o)

Flower said...

The adoption business is off and running!! It's so good to know the twins went to a fine home!!

Anonymous said...

Aww sweet! Glad they went on the trip together.

Deb said...

Too cute! My daughter is expecting our first grandchildren in March - yep, she is having twins! Much excitement around here as we all prepare for their arrival. From no grandbabies to two grandbabies - life is a rollercoaster. I am sure the bunny twins will be happy in their new home. I also think you should write a children's book about your bunnies!

Allie said...

Your bunnies are just adorable!

Marg said...

They are so cute.
Maybe I can sneak in and visit them sometime.
I can see you using your bunnies to tell your class all about Canada...What an opportunity. eh?

Jules said...

How cute and what a wonderful idea!!!

Knitting Linguist said...

Knowing when to let go is always the hardest part, but it sounds like they're settling in well! (And they're so cute...)

Yolanda said...

Have a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Check out New boy-just click on my name :0)

Islandsparrow said...

LOL! Reminds me a bit of Flat Stanley - has your class ever had a visit from him?

Flower said...

I just reworded a couple of sentences in my post and see that you stopped by! Yes, I like the idea of doing consumable gifts...but don't get me wrong....other things are just as nice!! :)) ..Especially certain hand-made things! :)
I have my paints out all the time now....it's the only way to keep at it and keep learning. It's kind of like knitting...it takes practice and it's ok to make mistakes.