Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friday Fave Five on Saturday

Well, I'm a day late posting my Fave Five for this week. Yesterday was a very busy day as the whole week has been.

And that leads me to the first Fave.

1. I have been reminded this week that a full life is way more fun than an empty one. So I am thankful that my life has been full of family, fulfilling work and exercise. I haven't had much time to spend in my garden doing this:



2. Secondly, I have enjoyed my walks with Ellen and most days have logged over 10,000 steps on my pedometer. I think that my position in First Grade involves more walking because I came home at noon with twice as many steps as I had last year in Kindergarten. The weather was quite warm, in the 85-90F range, and that means that while the rest of the US is getting ready for winter and the temperatures are hovering near freezing at night, our flowers, like this hibiscus, are still blooming their little hearts out.



3. Last Sunday we took a walk along the beach in Ventura.
The waves were crashing and the surfers were out in full force and outfitted in their wetsuits to catch the waves.

The palms along the walkway are all planted in threes. I looked at the way they grew and formed W and was reminded of Jimmy Durante's line in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" when he is dying and tells the other characters that the treasure is buried "under the big dubba ya."


4. One day this week the Office Monitor in First Grade had an errand to the office and when he returned, the rest of the class was on the floor surrounding the teacher listening to her instructions. He opened the classroom door with a flourish and announced, "Ta da! I'm back!" I had to turn around and cover my mouth so he wouldn't see me laughing.

5. What would a Fave Five be without a photo of The New Boy? Here he is, in his 8 month birthday week, standing up in a big cardboard box, thinking he's really big stuff when he's actually been stuck in there to keep him from wandering off down the hall while Nana is busy prepping tutoring lessons.



Have a wonderful week! To enjoy others' weeks with them, go to Susanne's blog.

21 comments:

Bethany said...

You made me laugh when you mentioned that movie!! That was a favorite of mine when I was growing up!! The boy is such a cutie... I'm telling you--give a kid a box and they are entertained for a whole day! And the dramatics of first grade... I'm so jealous. I love that age! Lastly, clean out a bedroom... I'm moving in! I can't stand how gorgeous it is where you live! Enough of PA!!!!

Barb said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my place and leaving a comment, Willow. I love the things that made your week nice and let me tell you, that photo of the ocean just makes me sigh. If you noticed my header, I'm sure you understand.

I may live in Colorado, but my heart belongs near the sea.

Thank you again and I hope you'll visit again soon.

Lovella ♥ said...

OH so fun .. I can imagine you would be an amazing teacher. . .energy and laughter and smiles . ..
Number 5 is clearly my favorite. . but number 4 is close behind but the busyness of the week and your walking. . .well done. . .my cold is nearly gone and next week I'll be pounding out the steps once again.

ellen b. said...

Glad you had a chance to sit down and post about your week :0)
Look at that photo of New Boy. He looks so relaxed and happy!

Karen said...

This is a wonderful list. The movie is one I remember growing up, too! How fun for you, finding the 'dubya'.

The socks in your previous post are beautiful. I've made two pairs, but not nearly the gorgeous colors. Do you have a mail order source for yarn?

God bless our soldiers, and especially your son. I pray the time goes quickly for you, too!

Knitting Linguist said...

What a great five -- I loved the dubba ya (that line always made me laugh), not to mention your student :) The weather looks gorgeous up there; we've had the same heat, but yesterday it cooled right down, even though it stayed sunny. I needed a sweater to watch midday soccer games, even. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Julia said...

Thanks for you comment about the mandarin tree in your back yard. It must be nice! Do you have any other fruit trees?

New Boy is so cute! I love how little kids can be entertained with the simpliest of items.

Faith said...

Great list!
Your baby is so adorable!!
That's awesome that you're teaching in a public school....I do too! (kindergarten teacher assistant in an inclusion class...we have 9 out of 17 kids with special needs...I used to teach full time as Master teacher for prek emotionally disturbed kids but now prefer working part time...) God is faithful to those of us who are praying for our schools and students!

Susanne said...

I haven't seen that movie in forever! I think I'll go rent it. It's so nice that you have a regular walking partner in Ellen. And all the wonderful things you guys see.

Robin said...

Hi Willow!
How fun to run into each other again! I can't believe how big your little man has gotten! I can't begin to tell you how much fun I am having with my little grandson and now my granddaughter - I am such a blessed woman!
Your photos are so beautiful - I can't imagine how lovely it would be to walk along the beach every day!
I'm still knitting away - your blog helped inspired me to get at it again.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Willow! Your busy week was fun to read about...and you have reminded me I need to get walking again! I've been leaving that aside in recent weeks and feeling the effects.

We are blessed here in SoCal aren't we, with clear sunny weather most of the time...and it seems cooler temps are becoming more frequent though still not dependable.

Enjoy your new week!

SteppeSister said...

Hi Willow! I have a blog now too! Visit me sometime at SteppeSisters Songs. You'll know me when you get there :) We talked last week.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

This fave five made me giggle repeatedly. I love the movie reference! So would Hubby! And I'm in awe that you're clocking 10,000 steps a day! I've been unsuccessful in achieving that milestone and am SO impressed.

Hugs,
Cindy

Beck said...

What a BEAUTIFUL baby! And the W tree - I LOVE that movie!

Islandsparrow said...

Oh what a sweet boy - I could "eat him up!" as my MIL would say.

Our flowers are still blooming too - even with quite a heavy frost yesterday.

The funny little things children say is one of the things I miss the most about teaching.

Love your ocean pictures - our waves pick up in the fall and every now and then I'll see a surfer with a wetsuit. Thanks for sharing your week.

kate smudges said...

Ah, it's good to be catching up with you. Your grandson is adorable - it won't be long before he is climbing out of that box! I'm now wondering why you'd be making more steps with grade one students. I would have thought the kindergarten children would have added way more steps to your day!

Wish that I could have been out on the beach! It's good to visit here again!!

Flower said...

Ahhh....now I can go on with the new week!! Love it when you show us a snap of the big blue eyes!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Willow

I was away celebrating our anniversary and I'm finally getting back to being able to visit my favorite blogs. Sound slike you have been busy too! Your little grand is adorable. My DIL is teaching first grade this year too...she comes home exhausted.

The weather there sounds scrumptious! Love the surfer photo.

Anonymous said...

I love all your pictures! Beautiful hibiscus.

Tracy said...

That is a love ot good favorites there, Willow...wonderful photos too! Thanks for sharing...Happy Days ((HUGS))

Heather said...

He's getting so big. I know you're proud.