Thursday, August 27, 2009

Late Summer Spinning and Knitting

As the summer season slowly winds down, those lazy dog days of late summer slip into early autumn, I look at my summer vacation to do list. While I have accomplished some of the hundreds of tasks I set for myself this summer, I also find I have not completed most of them.

Buy new tablecloths--no.
Purchase a guest room lamp--not yet.
Hang more pictures--nope.
New area rugs--no.
Strip and repaint my grandpa's old wooden chair--mostly done with that.

Ah, but, spinning and knitting? Yes, I've done a bit of that!

Variegated blue superwash wool from Crown Mountain Farm--all spun up, twist set, skeins wound.

More superwash wool, also from Crown Mountain. This one reminds me of Peppermint Candy.



My summer knitting has been simple and uncomplicated. The warmer weather prevented me from working on large, cold weather projects such as sweaters or blankets. In fact, my summer stitching has been so boring I haven't bothered much with photos. A few bunnies. A couple of scarves.

However, yesterday a request came from a family member for me to knit some soft cotton caps to cover a head soon to be free of hair. I am searching my pattern books for sweet, simple, soft hats.

As autumn arrives, I will have more purpose in my knitting. I promise. And maybe, just maybe, I'll finally purchase those rugs, lamps and tablecloths. And finish painting the grandpa chair.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Brenda (in Paraguay) was just writing about a beanie she knitted for herself....

ellen b. said...

Well you have until September 22nd or so to knock a couple more things off the list and you have that extra incentive going for ya! :0)

Tracey said...

Hi Willow
I've just seen a post you made on Brendas blog regarding yarn for a hat.. when i was having chemo i found a website over there in the states.. fat thumbs it was called and the lady knitted seamless chemo hats.. might be worth a look on the site for ideas. The kind lady even sent me a free chemo hat over to the uk which i really appreciated.. good luck in your find

Tracey at the ramblings of tracey xx

Tracey said...

heres the link, sorry i hit send before i found it, blame it on chemo brain lol

http://www.fatthumb.com/fatthumb.html

Dorothy said...

Oooh, I love that peppermint candy yarn!!

snoopydogknits said...

Hi there,
Haven't been by for a while, but glad I made the visit. Your spinning is beautiful. I too had a summer holidays 'to do' list, which is sadly still an almost complete 'to do' list! I teach and at the beginning of the summer vac it always feels like I've got ages and ages to get things done, until .................suddenly, it's nearly time to go back to school.

roxie said...

Soft rayon is also a good bet for chemo caps. Berocco Chinchilla is especially nice. My prayers to whoever needs it.

The Curious Cat said...

Make sure you show off your work when it is done!!! :) xxx

Allie said...

Beautiful yarn!

I know Lion makes organic cotton yarn that might be nice for a cap. Thinking good thoughts for your family member.