Friday, July 24, 2015

There and Back Again, Again



I've been gone traveling.  Again.  Summer is like that for teachers.  We take advantage of those weeks off during the summer to wander around.  This time, we flew east to visit our girls and their families.  I'm so thankful for two weeks of grandchildren and adventures!  Linking with Susanne's Friday Fave Fives.

1.  But first, the knitting--
I finished two projects, one just before we left


afghan knitted in seed stitch
and one just before we returned.


Mara Shawl in grey

I also almost finished a pair of socks--photos when they're done.

2.  A visit to our nation's capital, Washington, D.C.






3.  The best part was the Library of Congress!



Did you know that you can FOR FREE receive a Library of Congress reading card??!!  The card gives you complete and total access to all of the library's contents for two years.  Yes, we got one.  :)

4.  In all our travels around the world and the US, we have never actually put our feet into  the Atlantic Ocean.   We've been in all the eastern seaboard states, swum in the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean, but not the Atlantic.  On this trip, we accomplished this milestone in Delaware.  (photo compliments of Daughter #2.


5.  We love playing outdoors with the littles and their parents.  On the east coast, it's so very different--trees, trees, green, and water.





There are so many more photos and adventures.  I just hit the highlights.  Over the weekend, I hope to finish up the picture downloads and post my favorites.

10 comments:

ellen b said...

So nice that you have the time with the Professor to travel in the summer! Congrats on getting your feet into the Atlantic!

Faith said...

You are so blessed to have your husband as a teacher too!! Omgoodness, if my hubby was one we would NEVER be home from the end of June until after Labor Day! lol....I guess it's a good thing I'm the only teacher in the family :) But seriously...that is awesome that you got to visit our nation's capital (we have that on our bucket list!) and yay for finally swimming in the Atlantic Ocean....it's a lot warmer where you were than were I was 2 weeks ago :)

I loved all your photos especially those hiking ones :)

Love that grey shawl...looks so cozy for next winter!

Have a blessed weekend!

Barbara H. said...

My husband has always wanted to visit DC, but so far we haven't made it. Maybe someday!

I do love the greenness of the East. On my few visits to CA I was surprised at the brownness during the summer.

Gracie Saylor said...

Bravo on your lovely finished knit projects! Your travels and visits sound so satisfying, especially with setting feet in the
Atlantic :) Now what will you check out from the Library of Congress? I plan to go camping with some of my kids for a week at the beach and can hardly wait to leave on Sunday :)

Susan said...

Seeing the grandkiddos is certainly one of the best ways to spend time. Hurray that you also got to experience WATER and GREEN.

I've traveled all over as well and I've also never been in the Atlantic Ocean off our eastern seaboard. Someday.

It is so awesome that you are such a great needlecrafter.That is also on my someday list. Looking forward to seeing photos of your socks.

Mereknits said...

Your trip sounds wonderful and I bet the Atlantic was cold. Love your knits, so beautiful.
Hugs,
Meredith

Julene said...

We are glad you had a great time and got to do the things that matter most!
It's fun to see your favorite places! The knitting projects especially interest me. :) Gorgeous!! Love to you!

Susanne said...

How fun to say that you've now dipped your feet into 3 oceans. I can only claim one and only one time. I'm hoping to change that in my lifetime! I'd also love to visit Washington. So rich in history! Love your forest pictures with your sweet family!

snoopydogknits said...

Looks like a lot of fun was had by you all! Ros x

aspiritofsimplicity said...

sounds like a delightful vacation...the nation's capitol, family, swimming, and knitting! Up here in New England it's been so beastly hot and humid I am hardly ever out of the Atlantic!