Thursday, October 19, 2017

October, Three

I have had some posts mulling around in my head, but I haven't written them yet because, well, I am waiting for my photos to be able to be downloaded to my new computer.  We'll see if I get any up for Friday Fave Fives this week.  Every week, I join others to focus on my gratitude for the blessings in my life.  (Yes!  The Professor did his magic, and I have pictures!)

1.  This past weekend I spent both Saturday and Sunday spinning at a historical adobe site.  Each autumn, Reyes Adobe in Agoura Hills celebrates with a two day (or more) festival.  Reyes Adobe is one of the loveliest simple original adobe homes left in Southern California.  Each year, our spinning and weaving guild is invited to demo our craft at the site.  Truly, we are given The Best Spot for our demos.  We're on a patio under an arbor with a covering of grapes vines.  The staff is fantastic and the visitors are friendly and interested in what we are doing.  In addition, I am allowed to encouraged to sell my hats.  Which I did.



2.  This week, I received a letter in the mail from a former student.  Occasionally, we correspond because his mother asked me to please keep in touch with him.  I had sent him a postcard from one of our recent trips, and he responded right away.  It's obvious he is thriving in his writing and other interests.  It does a teacher's heart good to know her students are doing well.

3.  I finished the last of the seventeen scarves I am sending to be included in a holiday give away for homeless people in the LA area.  They're all boxed and ready to be sent off.  More stash used up!


4.  A long hike.  The Professor and I decided to finally drive up the coast to Summerland and hike the trails that I did with a group a couple of years ago.  I remembered most of it, but when we decided to take the shorter way back to the town from the mountains behind, we evidently turned the wrong way on one trail and ended up, and I do mean UP, the mountain which added an extra two miles to our hike.  Really, it was fun.


You can't really tell from the photo, but way out there beyond the orchard on the hill is the Pacific Ocean.  That's where we started.  If you were in downtown Summerland looking up at the mountains, you'd be looking where I am standing to take the photo (about a 500 ft rise).


5.  On the way home, we stopped and had my phone fixed.  Yeah, I dropped it and broke the screen.  The fix wasn't cheap, but the fix-it guy is local, and we were happy with his price and his work.

Since I have my photos available, here are some bonus pictures just for fun.




11 comments:

Faith said...

Love the hats and scarves you show! so pretty and what a great cause for those scarves!

Oh how different hikingmis in CA!! are your trails marked with blazes/markers or do you just have to know the trail via compass? i dont temd to bushwhack and almost all of the Adirondack trails are clearly marked with trail blazes unless it is a herd path. The trail i did last week up Baxter Mt was clearly marked almost the entire way but the one before that was spotty...we had to pay close attention. Glad you foind your way and an extra 2 miles is a great work out! 😜

love those ferns in the photo!!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

How interesting to go to a spinning event!

ellen b said...

Wow. Good for you for doing that Summerland hike. Hopefully it was a cooler day. That's a nice thing to do with your stash. I'm sure the homeless that the scarves go to appreciate the scarves. Happy weekend to you.

Mereknits said...

I love how dedicated you are even after retirement. Lovely photos my friend.

Kathie said...

Such a great ministry with your knitting!

I think I would have some problems going 2 miles UP a mountain! But such a gorgeous view!

Glad to be back with fff!

Ann said...

Isn't it great fun to have a stash of yarn that needs to be used up!!!

Barbara H. said...

Glad you got your pictures back! And your phone fixed. What a nice thing to do with your yarn stash. The festival sounds really interesting! How neat to keep up with a former student and know he's thriving.

Wendy said...

Wow that was some wrong turn! lol Great thing you're doing with the scarves and must be lovely to see how well your students do after they've moved on. Have a good weekend.

Schotzy said...

Whew. I'm rather tired from reading your exciting post for the week... That hike sounds amazing.. if I was 20 but I just couldn't do it now!! And I so wish I was really proficient at knitting. Love your wonderful hats and scarves... I love to knit and straight line but alas not much you can do with it and as sure I turn it to create a scarf.. I slip a stitch and then trouble commences!

snoopydogknits said...

What stunning autumnal pics this week and such beautiful countryside. What a brilliant effort to have completed so many hats for such a good cause! x

Susanne said...

Sounds like a lovely place to spin your yarns and share your skills. We have a Summerland here in Canada too, in British Columbia to be precise and it is in Wine Country so is surrounded by orchards too. Lovely countryside and though it was a long walk it looks beautiful. I'm sure the people who receive your lovely scarves will very much appreciate all the work you put into them.