Thursday, January 26, 2023

Thankful for So Much

Happy Friday!  Another week in the books.  It is important to me to be mindful and thankful of all the small and large ways I am blessed each day and week.  Therefore, Friday Fave Fives is important to me.  Here is my list of Five Blessings I have noted in Willow's Week.

1.  Our area has been clobbered twice with snow storms this week.  I am glad that the snow melted off fairly quickly from both storms.  Even so, area schools were closed one day.  I'm thankful for the beauty but also that the snow didn't stick around for days and days.

2.  On Tuesday afternoon, The Professor and I braved the weather during one of the warmer times and took a drive north through a couple of small towns and ended up in a place called Mt. Vernon.  It is a lovely quaint town which has at least two small universities.  Our interest was in the walking trails there.  We enjoyed a lovely two and a half mile walk along a river and around a lake and then back across the river to our car.  I took some lovely photos of the scenery but unfortunately, my camera and my computer are having a tiff and not speaking to each other. (detailed fix-it coming soon, I hope)

3.  An added joy to that walk was a lovely conversation with a gentleman who pointed us in the right direction for the best walk and also traded numbers with The Professor and invited us visit him at his home some time soon as we have much in common beyond our mutual love of walking and exploring.

4.  I love living near my daughters, like a five minute drive.  One afternoon, we realized that our clothes dryer quit working.  The clothes were washed and wet and we needed them.  So we checked with the girls and arranged to pop over and dry our clothes.  And had an opportunity to chat with the teenagers, too.  I am so thankful to be so close to them.

5.  We love to travel.  It's just in our nomadic bones.  So yes, we are traveling.  With all that cold and grey and rain and snow, we decided we needed some sunshine and warmth, so south we are headed.  So far, we haven't found any warmth or sun, but at least we are enjoying our adventure.  And we will be spending time with friends and family.

How about you?  What blessings have you found in your week?

10 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How nice that you are traveling south to find some sunshine and warmth! Good luck! We live in Florida and it is 37 degrees this morning, and will be again tomorrow! LOL. It will warm up to 61 today and should be sunny...so perhaps that is better than where you live, but it is chilly to us. At least there isn't any snow! How nice that your daughters/family live nearby. That is a blessing! Our son and his wife live about a mile from us, and yes, it is wonderful to have them near for good times and for help when we need it (or when they need our help!). The older we get the more we appreciate having them near. God is good! I hope you have a delightful little getaway and that you are warm and cozy wherever you are! Have a blessed weekend.

Faith said...

Oh I will pray you get some warmth and sunshine on your journey south and that the Lord would bless your time with friends and family.

It's wonderful to have young adult children close by.....and in your case, your grands!! Glad they could help out with the laundry issue!

I loved driving through Ohio the one time I did many many years ago on my way to Missouri where i lived for 2 weeks (LONG story). and I THINK Mt Vernon is where my cousin Trina lives....I'll have to check with her. I don't know her all that well (another long sad family saga story from my mother's side of the family). She's a university prof in Math. And that's cool that you met a man who has common interests with you. It's a blessing to meet new friends.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation. As for me....only 3 more work weeks until Winter Break!! YAY!!



Lynn and Precious said...

Like you, we had the snow up here. Schools closed 2 days and have been on 2 hour delays the rest. Not really melting, just shrinking a bit. No walking up here, I regret. Lynn

ellen b. said...

Glad you can travel and hope you reach the sunshine and warmth, soon! That is convenient to have your girls close by. That's fun to meet up with someone on the trail and get an invite.
Let us know where your travels take you.

Barbara Harper said...

Our snow is like that, when we get it--usually it's gone by the next day, and that's just the way I like it. I hope you find sunshine and warmth in your travels! They've been intermittent here in TN.

It is wonderful to have family close by, for so many reasons. Your visit to Mt. Vernon sounds lovely.

Melanie said...

I'm with you with the sunshine and warmth! If I could, I'd be on the next plane to Florida to visit my family down there. I'm glad you found a day that you and the Professor could get in a nice walk. It is nice to have your children nearby. I have a son 20 minutes away and another 30 minutes. Unfortunately, my daughter is way down in Florida. I hope your weekend and mid-winter trip is going well.

Wendy said...

Oh I hope you find some sun and warmth soon. Been very cold here but no more snow. Always good to have a Plan B (as in visit family) when things go wrong at home. Have fun on your travels.

Karen said...

I have an eye on a trip south, too!, just not sure where it will be. I'm so tired of the snow and ice here. Your daytrip to Mt. Vernon sounds so nice! University towns always seem to have something to offer. How great that you made a new friend. I've found that I meet the nicest people out on walks in our nature areas. Looking forward to hearing about your trip:)

nikkipolani said...

You make me ever more thankful for the sunshine and warmth here. You know we get tons of it, but after a few weeks of on/off rain, we are glad for the warmth when the sun comes out.

How nice to meet up with like-minded people and begin a new friendship. Being near family is a blessing indeed, kind of a two-fer since you've got both your girls :-)

Jennifer said...

Enjoy your travels....sounds like you have a way of finding the fun when you get out and about!! Find the sunshine (and then bring it home with you)!!