Friday, January 06, 2023

Welcoming in the New Year

 Happy New Year! 2023!

Wow, how did it become 2023 already?  And how is it Friday already?  Friday Fave Fives sneaked up on me today.  And it's Friday evening.

Here are my Five Faves from Willow's Week, five things that stand out to me from my life this week.

1.  New Year's Eve.  We really know how to party here at Willow's Cottage.  Family came over for dinner about 6:00pm.  At midnight London time (7:00 here), we gathered around the TV and watched the ball drop while Big Ben bonged out twelve rings!  Happy New Year!  Then we relaxed, and eventually the family wandered home, and we were all in our beds before midnight in our time zone.  That is my kind of New Year's Eve celebration.

2.  I made it through 2022 and into 2023.  That in itself is a blessing.

3.  On New Year's Day, the weather had moderated enough (from frigid and snowy) so we could take a walk.  We were blessed to have great paved trails near our home, so we can just pop over and walk a few miles and our daughters can join us and bring the puppies.

4.  Finally, I started knitting a sweater using some very very lovely 100% cashmere yarn.  I purchased it from a small company June Cashmere that supports small farmers in Central Asia.  Little by little, I am able to knit more.

5.  I am thankful to be back in the rhythm of normal, not holiday, life.  I love Christmas!  But I am also glad when life calms down and we can rest in everyday activities.  Coffee with friends.  Daily walks.  Weekly Bible Study.

Are you ready for 2023?  Are you back in the rhythm of daily life?  Are you already finding joy in this new year?

8 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Willow, thanks for visiting my blog. Our grands go back to school Monday. The Uber driver(grandpa) will be back to his normal routine. Things will be a bit crazy if I get called into jury duty as we only have one car. It will be hard having to get up early and go out in the cold. I won't be able to drink a lot of coffee if I am on jury duty. I plan to take a journal with me to work on. Enjoy your weekend!

Melanie said...

I too am always ready to get back to the normalcy of life after Christmas. Your knitting is lovely. My daughter is a wonderful knitter and I've tried to do it but I've had to admit that crochet is my thing. Our temps have been nice here in Tennessee but we're cooling off this next week with possible snow at the weekend. I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

ellen b. said...

I love and can get behind the custom of watching the ball drop in London instead of New York. Glad you have those paved trails nearby. Yes, we are finally back to a calm rhythm but that is about to change next week. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Lynn and Precious said...

Greatful for the break in our Ohio weather for sure. Just hoping and praying it is not one to get worse still. I miss my biking on the Ohio to Erie section available to me up here. I know Newark is well known for lots of paths. Love the knitting, I do crochet when in the mood. I love good yarn. Happy New Year, Lynn

Susanne said...

Happy New Year! I never thought to watch the London ball drop! I will have to consider that for next year. It is nice to return to some semblance of normal after a busy holiday period. Nice that you have paved trails nearby. Enjoy that good weather while it is there! So glad that you are able to get back to knitting and what lovely wool to start with!

Barbara Harper said...

That's my kind of NYE, too. We were out during the day but stayed home that night. I'll have to remember to watch the ball drop in London next year! I like to stay up to watch the one in NY, but didn't this year since the next day was Sunday.

How nice to have paved trails nearby. Our cul-de-sac has paved sidewalks, but not the streets beyond it.

I like getting back to "normal" after the holidays, too, even though I love Christmas and the family time together.

Cathy said...

First of all, I love the color of that yarn and it looks so soft. I hope you will show it to us when it is finished. Your paved walkways look really nice. That does sound like a really nice way to celebrate NYE. Hope you have a really great day.

nikkipolani said...

The return to work was like re-entering that other world, like leisurely mornings never happened, a bit like stepping back onto the speediest people mover. Glad your return to routines went well. And even returning to more knitting! That cashmere is the loveliest claret color.

Happy 2023 indeed.