Thursday, March 23, 2023

Cashmere, Anyone? Neckdown Pullover Sweater

 As promised, I am posting details about the red raglan sleeved pullover sweater I finished knitting last week. (there are advantages to being mostly confined to a chair resting my ankle)

The pattern I used, and slightly adapted, is published by Knitting Pure and Simple.  Here is a link to one place where the pattern can be purchased.  Knitting Pure & Simple

Yarn:  I used June Cashmere 100% Kyrgyz Cashmere, DK weight yarn, 150 yd, Scarlet.  I bought seven skeins and used almost all of the yarn.

Needles:  sizes 6 and 4, both circular and double pointed.

Last fall, I made a sample sweater in white, just to test out the pattern.  That yarn had been given to me from someone's stash, so I used it to find out how the pattern would fit and exactly what size needles I should use for my 'real' sweater.

This sweater is knitted from the top down in the circular, so there are NO seams to sew.  My favorite way to knit.  After the sweater was finished, all I had to do was weave in the ends of the various places where I had to attach new yarn, such as where the sleeves were added on.


The raglan sleeves are easy to make; you simply do increases at the joints.


I like the V neck knit-purl edge.


The only change I made was to the bottom edge.  On the sample sweater, I followed the instructions which made the sweater more of a tunic.  There is a slit made on each side and the bottom ribbing is finished off in garter stitch ribbing.


I like tunics and often wear them, but with this pattern, I chose to change to a knit one/purl one hem that matches the neck and sleeves edges.

I love my new red cashmere sweater!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow! That is a beautiful sweater! I am truly impressed with your knitting skills! I have NONE, so can't even imagine how difficult it must be to create something so perfectly lovely! Wow! I guess I missed a post about your ankle. I need to go back and see what's going on. Hope you are healing well. At least you used your down time very productively, and what a gorgeous sweater you now have to show for it and to enjoy!! I am amazed!! Take care and God bless!!

ellen b. said...

Lovely and I bet it's real soft...

nikkipolani said...

It's such a rich color. I like your choice to forgo the side slit.

Anonymous said...

It’s beautifully simple and shows off your even knitting. I imagine it will get lots of use now that you live in a colder climate. Mary

Melanie said...

Beautiful! I love the red. The DK weight makes it drape so pretty.