Friday, March 24, 2023

Fave Fives in Spring

 It's SPRING!  It's really SPRING!  It may be raining and there may be thunder and lightning outside, but, according to the calendar, it's SPRING!

Every week I focus on five things that have blessed me this week.  Susanne calls it Friday Fave Fives and hosts a bunch of us to post our five blessings we have chosen and written about in a post for the week.  (follow the link to join)  Here are mine---Willow's Week in Five Faves.

1.  Obviously, I did a spoiler in the first paragraph---it's SPRING!

2.  Saturday was the day we celebrated my birthday.  We decided to invite family to a local coffee shop/cafe for brunch.  This place has a loft area that people seldom use during the day, so we took it over.  Mostly, we just hung out and talked.  Instead of cake, I chose pie.  Triple berry and apple.  Yum!

3.  On Sunday, The Professor and I woke early and drove to Ft. Wayne, Indiana to attend a funeral/memorial service for a man we knew many years ago when we were in college.  This man was our choir director and the director of The Reflections, the small singing group I was part of for three years.  He left a large legacy of music in churches and colleges all over the US.  These photos were taken in 2016 at a Reflections reunion at the college.

Director Peter Kobe


Three of the original Reflections singers with Pete.




4.  On the way home, we stopped at the highest point in Ohio, Campbell Hill, to add this state's high point to The Professor's list high point places we have visited.


5.  This fave may seem like a small thing, but it was important to me.  I have a favorite tea that I drink almost daily.  Herbal Cold Care tea from Traditional Medicinal Teas.  I ran out last week.  All the local stores were out, too.  Finally, this morning, The Professor happened to be passing a grocery store in a nearby village where we seldom shop, and he popped in just to check for the tea.  The store had ONE box.  He bought it.  I am thankful for two things:  he thought about my wanting the tea and there was a box available.

Bonus:  I did write up a more detailed but short description of the cashmere sweater I finished knitting and posted it yesterday.  LINK for it.

10 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How neat to find your favorite special tea, and that "The Professor" thought of it enough to go look for it! That was very sweet. My sympathies on the passing of your friend and music director. How neat that you were in such a musical group in college. I can imagine those were some special times and memories. Springtime is always welcome, even with rain. We need the rain so much here in Florida right now, I would be very happy to have some. We were cold last week, and this week it seems to have jumped right back into summery afternoons. (HOT). But at least it still cools down a bit at night and the mornings are lovely. I'll take what I can get and be thankful. Hope your ankle is healing and you are doing better each day. Happy Springtime!

nikkipolani said...

Ugh, I can relate to running out of a favorite tea! (never mind that my cupboards are bursting with tea).

Yes, it's Spring! May you have more lasting signs of it in Ohio.

Glad you were able to celebrate Pete Kobe's life and reflect on your years in the singing group.

Well, since your birthday is so close to Pi Day, I'd assumed you'd choose pie over cake! Happy birthday!

Susan said...

How nice for him to buy your tea! Belated Happy Birthday!!! So sorry for the loss of your music director. I hope our spring weather last for a few months. Enjoy yours!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the sweater. So glad that you could attend your friend's funeral. It's nice that the professor found your favorite tea - and got the very last box! No spring here yet, but I am glad you are having it where you are. Belated birthday greetings! See you again soon!

ellen b. said...

Yippee for that serendipitous stop and that box of tea. How nice that you were close enough to make the trip to honor your college director. Your birthday celebration sounded yummy and nice. Hope you have a lovely weekend and that your ankle is getting stronger each day!

Anonymous said...

I like that tea, too, although I don’t drink it daily. There were quite a few events crowded into your week. Some more significant than others… Thanks for sharing these in your blog. Mary

Melanie said...

I'm always on the lookout for good teas. I'll have to see if I can find the one you mentioned. So far, oolong tea is my favorite. That's great that your husband found that box. I used to be a coffee every morning drinker but I've been gravitating to tea now.

It must have been very emotional to go to the memorial service of the gentleman who began the singing group. I've never been in a singing group but have in choirs. It's a wonderful experience.

Happy Belated Birthday! I think pie is an excellent choice for your birthday treat!

Have a blessed weekend.

Faith said...

Your birthday outing sounds wonderful. I would have chosen berry pie too vs cake. I'm not into cake at all. I actually didn't even want a wedding cake but was pressured to do so. tradition. ugh. hahah

Looks like you had a wonderful week of outings, road trips and hiking.

HAPPY SPRING (Even though here in eastern NY this morning it feels like winter but at least it LOOKS like Spring). and the grass is starting to turn green!! yay!!

Barbara Harper said...

Happy belated birthday! How thoughtful of your husband to think of your favorite tea when he passed the grocery store, and then stop to get it. I love that it is officially spring, too!

Susanne said...

How sweet of the Professor to stop and check for that tea! And happy there was a box for you! Again Happy Birthday. Your celebration sounds wonderful. And I think I would choose pie too! Happy Spring! In my mind, rain and thunder storms are definitely associated with spring.