Friday, May 19, 2023

Heart-filled Week

Happy Friday, dear readers!  It's time for Friday Fave Fives.  Here is how I was blessed here at Willow's Cottage this week.  The link takes you to Susanne's blog where you can read more or join in.

1.  Mother's Day.  Family was here for dinner Sunday evening.  Pasta with tomato sauce or alfredo (made by older daughter).  Salad.  Broccoli.  For dessert, there was ice cream and sorbet for me.  After eating, we sat on the back patio and enjoyed a cherry bonfire.

2.  Both of my boys called me to wish me Happy Mother's Day and we chatted a long time.  My mama's heart was full.

3.  My girls know me well.  When we were at the garden center, I noticed a bird bath and commented how much I liked it.  Guess what?  Yup.  It was my Mom Day gift!  I loved how they surprised me.  Because it is so heavy, Tall Boy and Tall Girl brought the pieces in and 'hid' them in the living room and turned off the lights in there.  Then, at the unveiling, they took me in and turned the lights back on.  Here are the two pieces...we are still choosing the best place as it is actually going to be used (hopefully) by the bees.

Of course, I love the Celtic designs (knitted cables?)


4.  The Professor's gift to me was labor.  He finished prepping the garden beds!  And now I have planted tomatoes, basil, bush beans, climbing cucumbers, parsley and marigolds.  This morning, I added carrots, lettuce and kale seeds.

5.  Short Boy stayed overnight with us one night this week.  When I said goodnight to him, I asked if I could do what his mom always did when he was young--sing the Doxology to him as part of his goodnight ritual.  His response?  I didn't SEE the eye roll, but I heard it in his voice as he informed me that he was really young then.  But I sang it anyway and I could tell he loved it.  You know, when you're thirteen, you have to pretend you don't want it even if you do.   Meema's heart was happy.

10 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day! What a fun surprise the bird bath was! How nice to have the garden in. Thirteen is kind of a tricky age--grown up one minute, not so much the next.

ellen b. said...

Love the designs on that bird bath! What a sweet surprise. Aww thirteen year olds. Glad you connected with all your children on Mother's day!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Sounds like a perfect Mother's Day. I love the bird bath!! I am sure the birds and the bees will too! LOL. And I absolutely love that you sang the Doxology to your 13 year old grandson, whether he wanted you to or not. I am quite sure he loved it and it will stick in his memory even when he is older. Our 23 year old grandson is remembering little things that we have done together when he was little...some I had to prompt his memory a bit, but I could tell the memories were special to him as they are to me as well. Even if it embarrasses him a bit, I keep telling him stories of when he was a child. It's a special bond we have and it means the world to me, and I think it does to him as well. Keep it up, grandma! Deep down inside even 13 year old boys like to know just how special you think they are. I hope your garden grows in abundance!!!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you had a nice Mother's Day. I love the bird bath! Enjoy the weekend. See you again soon!

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day and the birdbath is lovely. Oooh 13 is a tricky age lol. Nice to spend time with him though. You've definitely been busy in the garden. Hope everything grows well. Enjoy the weekend.

Susan said...

Hi Willow, I do understand that teenage attitude. I love your bird bath! I have two of them in my backyard. I go by Mema, pronounced the same as you spelled it. Yes, we had some May grey today, but the sun finally came out. I play Word with friend too! I am Susan4mylord if you need a player. Enjoy your weekend!

a heartful child said...

Oh my goodness that is such a beautiful bird bath! It looks as if you could stumble across it while rambling through the Irish countryside.

Faith said...

Oh how wonderful you sang the doxology even if he was rolling his eyes behind your back...hahahah.....
That is one nice bird bath!!! I really want to get a bird bath for the far back in the back yard but dave isn't sure about it.

Your Mother's Day sounds absolutely wonderful.

ps you asked where Courtney and Nathanael's friend from kansas was moving to. They met them (born a girl) on line at one of their gaming things and for hte last year have become friends with K. they wanted to leave Kansas and move to NY to find a job and possibly go to college. K's mom had lived in NYC for a bit before she married and moved back to Kansas. K cannot afford NYC so is going to live in Nathanael's spare bedroom in his apt here in Latham while they/she looks for work. Courtney only has a one bedroom in the same apt complex and she is helping K to get settled, took her to get groceries, etc. last evening. Nate is going to give K a couple months to find work and then charge them half the rent.

Susanne said...

Such a lovely bird bath. And labor is sometimes the best gift ever! I appreciate that more as I get older. Your garden will provide lots of yummy food for you! Awww how sweet for the bedtime doxology. Eyerolls and all.

nikkipolani said...

Oh, you're going to have some happy birds! The gift of both the bath and the labor - beautiful indeed.

May your boy treasure the memories of his Meemaw loving him with the Doxology.