Friday, May 12, 2023

May Friday Fave Fives, Week Two

Bountifully blessed is the way I would describe my week here at Willow's Cottage.  Some weeks I struggle to find Five Faves; other weeks I work at paring down the multitude of blessings.  Which ever week it is, I am thankful.  Here are five happenings that I chose for Friday Fave Fives (the link takes you to Living to Tell the Story blog to join us)

1.  One piece of siding on our house blew off in a storm months ago.  We have tried multiple times to find someone able and willing to replace it.  Unfortunately, it was the piece at the very tip top of our two story home.  The biggest issue was finding someone with a tall enough ladder to reach that spot.  This week, the father-in-law of our CA extra grandson brought a 35 foot ladder and climbed up there and put that one small piece back up.  We are so thankful for his willingness and ability to help us!

2.  On Saturday afternoon, the daughters drove over and picked me, and we went plant shopping!  AND NOW, my phone isn't talking to my laptop computer, so I can't post some adorable pictures.  The Professor is working on it...)

3.  Monday evening our daughters and the grands joined us here for BYOD (Bring Your Own Dinner) and a bonfire.  The weather was perfect!  I love living so near that we can just say, "Come on over and bring some food."

4.  I have been wanting to get out and hike this spring.  Obviously, my broken ankle has held me back.  But this week, Tall Boy and Short Boy had a Trail Life hike and I was able to tag along with the boys and The Professor.  The trail was very muddy but we persevered and I walked the whole way!


This part of the trail was the 'dry section'.

5.  The garden is s-l-o-w-l-y coming together.  Hopefully, we will be able to plant our starts this weekend as our California 'kids' came and helped us stabilize the corners and sides of the raised beds.  Here's to summer veggies!!


8 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Choosing plants and anticipating the garden are some of my favorite things. How nice you had both in your week! And share pics when your phone and laptop have made up.

So good to have someone who could help with house issues. Blessing indeed.

May many beautiful hikes be in your (near) future.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I like the "BYOD" idea! We do a lot of that here, just never called it that. I call is communal dinner...our son and daughter in law bring whatever they have and we put it together and call it dinner. I love it. Yes, it is wonderful to have family living close by. I am glad your got the siding replaced! Brave man who climbed that tall ladder! Glad you were able to do a bit of a hike! Glad you are getting better! We have one tomato plant, and there is one big beefsteak tomato growing, with some new buds starting to develop. I sure hope nothing happens to that tomato. My mouth is already watering for it. LOL. If this succeeds, I might try planting some other things. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. God bless you all.

Melanie said...

I love the BYOD! It is indeed a blessing to be close enough to family to do that. I'm glad you were finally able to hike a bit despite your healing ankle. The weather here has been lovely and I hope to get out more. It is indeed planting season now. I have no room to plant anything in the ground but I might try my luck with some hardy potted plants for the front of the apartment.

I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day.

Faith said...

We LOVE BYOD's and in our home, now that both girls are on their own, we tend to say BYOTO (bring your own take out) cause one is like a carnivore and the other is pure vegan and I'm plant based and dave is mostly plant based. hahaha It works for the 4 of us.
Oh Spring hiking!! I've only "hiked" (more like power walked) in our area's plethora of nature preserves and parks as you saw on my FFF. TODAY was awesome. My husband actually WANTED to go with me and some church friends on a real first of the season mountain hike. We chose one I've hiked 3 other times (all in autumn) and WOW ....mud near the creek and BLACK FLIES. Don't know if the woods of Ohio have black flies but man the mountains here do from about mothers day week until fathers day week. Dad always warned me about the black flies growing up (most repellant does NOTHING to stop them) and taught me to never hike mid May to mid June. Well today I tried it with a new Black fly repellant made with all essential oils. They hovered all around me (you can barely see them) and NEVER landed on me!! Dave used it too. Anyways, I pray your ankle continues to improve so you can enjoy many more hikes

YAY for plants and growing veggies. I'm growing basil. It's doing well.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Barbara H. said...

I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day! I know what you mean about it being nice to live close enough to kids for a spontaneous get-together. That's wonderful that you found someone to come and fix the high bit of siding. Plant shopping is fun--we did that last week, too. I'm glad your ankle was able to tolerate some hiking.

Vagabonde said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I have to read the comments before they appear on my blog because I was getting too much spam. Yes, I am intending to visit the Foxfire Museum in North GA when I return to Hiawassee in late June. My late husband collected their books; we have about 8 of them. I am afraid to look at new plants because I might want to buy some and as long as I have to drive back and forth between Nashville and Atlanta I’m afraid they won’t be watered enough to survive the hot summer.

ellen b. said...

Hooray for good helpers with the right ladders! Sounds like you are getting more good helpers soon. Yard work really beats me up. Those weeds just keep coming back like sin! I like that idea of bring your own dinner and a bonfire. Happy belated Mother's day to you and your girls!

Susanne said...

How fun to go plant shopping together. Glad you found a helper with the tall ladder! Glad you are getting back into some mild hiking.