Friday, January 19, 2024

Cold and Snowy Faves

Hello from a white and icy Willow's Cottage!  In a zoom call this week with my Art Girls group, one of us mentioned her focus phrase for 2024-- JOY, no matter what.  YES!  That is what Friday Fave Fives is all about.  Finding and focusing on the blessings, no matter what else is happening.  Here are my Friday Fave Fives for this frigid week. (follow the link to Susanne's blog to join and read more)

This has been a week of rest, coffee, and books.   I didn't plan my week to be like that, but with our below freezing temperatures all day and night and now the snow which is falling, I haven't been out much and I haven't had much energy, either.  I truly am thankful for all the downtime.

We did make two expeditions out in the cold.  One trip was to have our annual eye exams.  Results were all good.  No changes, no new lenses, no new frames.  Our optometrist is wonderful and personable and professional.  It was a joy and a blessing to have that visit.

The other trip took us to the medical center for my m--m-gram.  Again, all good.  On the same trip, we did our big shopping trips to Costco and TJ's and added in REI and LLBean.  These stores are thirty minutes plus from us, so we group them together and do the trip once or twice a month.  Again, I am thankful that the medical visit is done and all the shopping is, too.

The Professor and I had a fun and relaxing coffee time with Mia, Younger Daughter, on one of her days off.  We enjoye our coffee in a sweet shop in a nearby town.  Ragamuffins Coffee is definitely a favorite.  While we were there, two people who work for our county's park district came in and grabbed their coffee.  A quick conversation about our knitting projects cemented the woman's name in my mind (I'm not usually good with names, so this was unusual).

Much to our surprise, we met that Park District lady at our eye doctor's office as she arrived for her appointment.  I remembered her name!  Then she told us about a volunteer program the park district has for people interested in helping keep the trails in good condition, and she invited us to join.  We'll definitely be looking into that since we walk the trails all the time, anyway.  I love those serendipitous meetings.

Extra:  update on the Fair Isle vest...  in rummaging around in my extensive yarn stash, I pulled out a bunch of yarn that came as a combination of five different colors in small skeins with a couple of the colors in larger skeins.  Perfect for me to make a 'practice' vest!  So that's what I have been knitting this week.  If all goes well, I should have it finished by next week.  Here's a quick glimpse to entice you...


13 comments:

Melanie said...

The vest is lovely! A wonderful way to use those partial skeins. I've heard so much about Fair Isle knitting but really have no idea what it entails. Someday I'll investigate.

I love coffee shops. What a great place to meet friends. The snow has been amazing this year - all over the country! My area of TN usually gets one snow a year at least but then it's gone in a day or so. This has stuck around all week and won't be gone until next week sometime. Those are the days to just snuggle down at home and read or knit! Have a great weekend.

Faith said...

OOOOH...i'm jealous about that trail maintenance gig at your park! I need to seriously look into something like that for late spring/early summer.

that coffee place looks AMAZING. I clicked on their menu options. OH MY. I'd love it there. And yay for a trip to LLB and REI etc. And congrats on the good you know what visit and the eye exam. I just had mine last week and thankfully all was well and no significant changes. the other is due next yr....i choose to go every other year for that as am low risk.

I LOVE the stay at home to snuggle down with books, coffee and movies.

Your knitting is gorgeous.

have a cozy weekend.

Cathy said...

I love that vest and the colors are perfect! Stay warm!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I love the colors and style of that vest! That will be gorgeous! Sounds like you've had a chilly but pleasant week, getting important things taken care of in spite of the weather. JOY is the best alternative to freezing weather and any other obstacle in our paths!! I choose JOY too! Have a blessed rest of your week.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Staying in during cold and snowy weather is the best thing! I love you "practice" vest. Great colors. That will be great for you to volunteer by keeping trails clear! I would love to do that. I love your word and phrase for the year. Enjoy the weekend and stay cozy.

nikkipolani said...

As someone new to this whole downtime-whenever-you-need-it, I'm thankful with you that you could relax with your coffee and books.

How nice to get all your shopping done in one fell swoop. Those serendipitous connections are pretty amazing.

You've picked some nice colors that look very nice together. Is that a pattern of your own creation?

Dianna said...

Willow, that vest is beautiful! I don't knit but I do crochet and appreciate the time and effort that goes into hand crafted items. I'm glad you were able to stay in this week for the most part...especially since you had little energy. We are having snow and cold temperatures like most everyone else and that kind of weather definitely affects my energy level. And how wonderful that you were able to get acquainted with the Parks lady who invited you to join the volunteer groups to keep the parks tidy. Sounds like a fun endeavor.

Susan said...

Hi Willow, no snow for us, but rain is coming in for a few days. We were out and about today. Tomorrow we will stay home and watch tv. I think I will make turkey soup. Good that your eyes are okay. I need to get my eyes checked again. I have cataracts and have to have yearly checkups. Your sweater looks so nice! I can only knit scarves and I might knit tomorrow. Enjoy your weekend!

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

a spirit of simplicity said...

How nice to be able to join the group protecting the trails. We all need to work together to keep these spaces. I love the colours in your vest so pretty. Happy that all your appointments had good results!

Wendy said...

Glad you were able to get all your errands and appointments taken care of and that all went ok. That vest is looking lovely. Hope you've had a good weekend.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

We had snow and ice here in Oregon. Rain now this week. That vest is looking lovely.

Bergen Furniture And Design said...

Your week of rest, coffee, and books sounds like a perfect blend of coziness amidst the cold weather. Congratulations on the positive results from the eye exams and medical visit. The coffee time with Mia at Ragamuffins Coffee adds a delightful touch to the week. Wishing you continued warmth, joy, and memorable moments in the snowy Willow's Cottage!

In case you need info about hooker furniture collection take a look at here.