Sunday, April 21, 2024

A Fair Isle Sweater

 Several years ago, I was given some sheep wool fiber.  If my memory is correct, it was from a Jacob wool sheep.  With daughter Mia's help, I cleaned, washed, carded the fleece.  Then, because there was so much of it, I sent it to a place that finished the carding and made several balls of roving.

Then I spun it on my Lendrum spinning wheel.

I decided I wanted to dye it and had heard that Kool Aid makes a great dye.  Think about it.  Have you ever spilled Kool Aid drink on your shirt, or had your child spill on his/her clothes?  It never never washes out.  It's a permanent dye.





And then the yarn just sat there in my stash.  Well, not completely.  I did make some outfits for Eleanor Elizabeth from the yarn.

Finally, in March, I decided that this would be the year I would use the yarn to make a fair isle sweater to wear when I visit Ireland and England in June.  The weather should be cool enough for me to wear a wool sweater, right?  Particularly in Ireland.

So I embarked on an adventure to find just the right pattern.  After browsing many many pinterest photos, numerous knitting books and blogs, I chose the Trek pattern by Tin Can Knits.


I finished the sweater just in time to wear this weekend when the weather decided to cool down into the 40s.

I am really pleased with the final results.

7 comments:

Tom said...

...and you should be pleased with the results!

Melanie said...

The sweater is just beautiful! It looks like such an intricate pattern and it's lovely!

nikkipolani said...

What a journey that wool has had! I did not know that about Kool-Aid. Now you have a Kool Wool Sweater!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow, that is so beautiful! I am amazed at your talents! And you can call that your "Kool-aid" sweater! Who'da thunk it? Glad to know koolaid can be used for something positive besides hyping up kids with tons of sugar and food dyes! LOL. I sure loved it on a summer day when I was a kid, I do remember that! And it made great popsicles in those little Tupperware popsicle containers...but I would never have thought it could make such a lovely colored wool sweater! Amazing! Thank you for sharing with us!! And how wonderful you are planning a trip to Ireland this summer. Perfect!

Monica said...

Yes, That is beautiful! Not something I am ready to tackle yet! LOL!

ellen b. said...

It really is a pretty result and fits you perfectly. I'd love to hear about your itinerary for your upcoming trip! So exciting!!

Anonymous said...

Great post on all the steps to this lovely sweater. Destination spinning or something. And what a destination! Mary