Monday, April 24, 2006

STARTED

I received the Level 3 Master Knitter's materials in the mail the day before we left on vacation last week. I've been working on the swatches I have to knit. I've finished five of the 18 already and am knitting on an interesting swatch this evening.

Herringbone. This is a knit stitch that ends up looking and feeling like herringbone tweed woven cloth. I am fascinated with the texture. It's super easy to knit with only one new technique--knitting an increase by knitting into the back of the stitch below the next stitch and then knitting the next stitch. The style and texture are old fashioned and I don't think I'd ever make anything with the stitch, but it's interesting and looks different depending on how I hold it up to the light.

Double Brioche. That is a cool looking very elastic and springy stitch and it was harder to knit. I'd knit a baby blanket for a grandchild using that stitch, but not for anyone else. Too easy to make a mistake and have to start all over again.

I know this final level of the Master Handknitting is going to challenge me. If you see me staring off into space and muttering to myself, it's normal, I'm just thinking about a project.

No comments: