Friday, December 29, 2006

Odds and Ends for the End of the Year

I haven't posted for a week. Christmas happened. And a wonderful Christmas it was! All the kids came home this year. All nine of us were in our little house, eating, sleeping, watching Muppets Christmas Carol, playing Iron Dragon, opening our presents, playing tricks on each other. It was a memorable day and I am so pleased that all the kids made the effort to come to our place between other in laws' celebrations and their own traditions.

My gifts to the girls were hand made and embroidered felted bags. I made one for a friend, too, and one for myself. I received several books to add to my life goal collection of owning all the Newberry Award Winners--The Door in The Wall, The Tales of Despereaux, Lloyd Alexander's The High King, Strawberry Girl, Bridge to Terebirthia. My year subscription to Real Simple is a gift that will keep giving me pleasure all year. John listened to my request for two books- Frugal Living for Dummies by Deborah Taylor-Hough and Sanna, Sorceress Apprentice by my good friend Roxanna Matthews.

I want to recommend the latter book to every one, especially people who enjoy reading fantasy and/or have a knowledge of knitting, spinning and weaving. Roxie is a Certified Master Knitter, professional weaver and spinner. She weaves in knowledge about all aspects of fiber arts and her story line kept me turning pages and not wanting to put down the book to sleep or eat. You can eat while you're reading, you know...

I wish you all a Happy New Year! Ours will be spent in Phoenix celebrating with Dan and Jennifer enjoying a Lord of the Rings movie marathon and eating hobbit food at regular intervals-- lembas, bread and butter, mushrooms and bacon, dried fruit, rabbit stew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the embroidered felt bag. It is the perfect color. (How did you know???) Love ya,
~Rea