Saturday, July 05, 2008

St. Paul's Cathedral

St. Paul's Cathedral, London




Early each day to the steps of Saint Paul's
The little old bird woman comes.






In her own special way to the people she calls,
"Come, buy my bags full of crumbs.
Come feed the little birds, show them you care
And you'll be glad if you do.
Their young ones are hungry,
Their nests are so bare;
All it takes is tuppence from you.

"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."
Feed the birds," that's what she cries,
While overhead, her birds fill the skies.

All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
Look down as she sells her wares.



Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling
Each time someone shows that he cares.



Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:


"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."





Or not.



Believe it or not, I am not obsessed with Mary Poppins. It's just that there are so very many references in the movie to landmarks in London. When I saw the chimney pots and the roof tops and St. Paul's Cathedral Square swirling with pigeons, I couldn't help thinking of the songs and images from the movie.

Next post: The Rose Garden at St. Paul's. No birds.

10 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I like your sense of humor....it was a bit of a jolt, after reading those tender lines, to come to the "Do Not Feed the Birds" sign - I laughed!

ellen b. said...

Beautiful St. Paul's! Did you climb all the inner stairs to the very top. I think Katie might remember exactly how many there were :0)
Now you've gone and done it, I'll be singing Mary Poppins tunes all day ...

Lovella ♥ said...

oh Willow. . I zipped across the pond to your friends house to see where you had been. It looks just so delightful. Ah. . the Mary Poppins tunes. .i'd like to pop a video in. .

Terra said...

Hi Willow,
Thanks for your comment on my blog, and yes, I will post a review of the book on July 18, and I have two copies of it to give away to folks who leave comments starting July 18.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures and the do not feed the birds sign is hilarious! I had to stop reading and go back again to make sure I saw the sign right. :)
I can't wait to see the rose garden!

Elizabeth said...

This is so exciting!
I was really looking forward to your pictures of England.
I relished the chimneys. I'm a history buff too.
Did you get to the Imperial War Museum? Really fascinating.
Yes, I feel a bit weird on July 4th since I'm both English AND American - and love both countries.
Well done knowing why the wind drops as darkness falls!
Happy weekend.
I look forward to lots more pictures over the coming days.

Ally Jay said...

Cor blimey g'vnor I almost thought I saw her black umbrella there. Great post.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Awwwww... one of my favorite Disney songs! I love how you've posted the lyrics with the photos of St. Paul's. Did you know that when the composer of this song first played it for Walt Disney, he was brought to tears? Reading your post, just about did the same thing to me.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Bethany said...

I am obsessed with Julie Andrews so I enjoyed your little rendition of her song!ue

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Great pictures of our capital. I have to say that these birds are a pest! I’m sure they sit and watch me set plants out in the garden and then proceed to pull them up. Marion