Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Tea at Harrod's



We hadn't intended to have afternoon tea at Harrod's. We had planned to meet at Kensington Gardens and have tea in the Orangery. However, the plans of someone else who hired the Orangery for a private event changed our plans. And so to Harrod's we went. We just had to have tea.


We must have been hungry because we ate our sandwiches, scones and cakes before I realized I hadn't taken advantage of this blogger photo op! I will say that everything was delicious and beautifully presented by a very pleasant server.






Earl Grey for me, Darjeeling for The Professor and English Breakfast, a double pot, please, for Chaplain Dan and The Princess. We lingered as long as we dared and enjoyed the view. The Tea Room is on the fifth floor, rooftop level, and we were seated right next to the window.



Afterwards, we wandered down stairs to the grocery level. The opulent Harrod's decor made shopping for food into 'an experience'.






Even the vegetables were artfully displayed.







You can purchase your tea, choosing from the myriad shelves of tea offerings and have your own Madhatter's Tea Party.

15 comments:

ellen b. said...

How wonderful! That's great that you had a window seat. Love the mad hatter tea display. Great photos Willow!

Anonymous said...

Oooo teas! My fav tea is "Lady Grey" it's got bergamot in it. If you like Earl Grey you'll like Lady Grey. Most supermarkets sell the one in a black box by "Twinings".

LOL Yes I totally understand the cream tea pics- I'm like that too. Scones, clotted cream, strawberry jam or fresh strawberries and Lady Grey tea = bliss.

Flower said...

I like the picture of the empty plates! Someone ate all the clotted cream!!

Marg said...

It seems so refreshing to have had high tea in such a specialty shop.
Isn't it interesting how many times we forget our cameras and we know this would be the perfect blog.
Looks like you all ate well

Anonymous said...

stumbled upon your blog! just a note to inform you that its great. great pics. anything that is tea attracts me :)

ellen b. said...

hey Willow!
The project this go around is Black! It just got posted tonight. Hope all is well...

Unknown said...

Harrods :) Must have been expensive to eat there..but how nice :)

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

You've shown some bits of Harrod's I've never seen before in others' photos....and the empty tea dishes proves how good it was! My favorite photo is the one of the tiled wall with all those fantastic designs

Knitting Linguist said...

I love those pictures! What did everyone think of you snapping away?

Anonymous said...

That's funny that you were too hungry to photograph your scrumptious tea!

Beatriz said...

What a great experience to enjoy tea at Harrod's. Sounds like a lovely time. I'm glad you took some photos.

Bethany said...

We love Earl Grey tea too! I once new some people who took yearly trips from Texas to shop at Harrod's, so I know it's got to be a special experience! I'm hungry now ;)

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Afternoon tea at Harrod's.... How Posh! Marion

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What fun! My mom is English and is always drinking tea :) I love the pictures of the pewter water vessels - I have one that is stamped "Madge Mellors - Newton Abbot" from a teashop that closed!

Unknown said...

My best friend's husband was head chef at Harrods some years ago. They have their little fire station underground you know?