Friday, July 04, 2008

Fourth of July

All four of us tourists, The Professor, Chaplain Dan, The Princess and I, love history. In fact, we're all kinda geeky about learning as much as we can about the past.


One of the first evenings we were in London, we were walking along a street on our way to Hard Rock Cafe London and suddenly The Guys, who were walking ahead of us Ladies, stopped, turned, and stared.






They pointed to these plaques.






The top plaque is easier to read in my photos. The lower plaque makes similar statements from the British perspective.



I find it ironic that today, July 4th, we are celebrating our independence from a country that has been for the past two hundred years (since the close of the War of 1812, in 1814, just before the Battle of New Orleans) our closest ally in war and friend in peace. May both these countries continue to stand and fight for freedom from tyranny and justice for the oppressed.



I send a special thanks to my family members who have fought in war times--my father, my father-in-law, The Professor, our uncles, our son and son-in-law and their many friends--THANK YOU!



9 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

Thanks for flying your flag proudly (and for the wonderful bit of history)!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

God bless the USA and our allies.

Thanks for sharing your discovery with us.

ellen b. said...

Very cool Willow. A special thank you to your Chaplain and son-in-law who are serving right now...

Decor To Adore said...

May our two nations continue to coexhist peacefully.

Graf Spee said...

Well, I wouldn't exactly call what I do _fighting_ during wartime... :} I mean, it's kind of hard to think of myself as a fighter when I don't carry a weapon, but thank you. :}

Terra said...

My husband and I love history too. I hope that isn't geeky :)
Thanks for sharing your insights.

Bethany said...

Happy 4th Willow! That is a really powerful thought... just goes to show that any adversity can be overcome!

Marg said...

It's amazing what one can find in another country to bring tribute to your special Day.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

What a happy and appropriate encounter for you all on the 4 July. Marion