Wednesday, October 07, 2020

A Hodgepodge of Thoughts

Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce as the hostess.  Click THIS LINK to join.

From this Side of the Pond

1. What's one part of your everyday routine you'd be better off without? 

                In the afternoon, I have the tendency to sit too long and then get up and grab a snack.  I really don’t need either.

2. October 5th is/was National Do Something Nice Day. So what did you/will you do? 

                I drove my daughter to physical therapy and picked up a coffee for her. 

3. What question do you hate to answer? 

                “Can you teach me to knit?”  I am a left-handed knitter, so it is difficult for me to teach right-handed people the basics of knitting.   And I hate saying no. 

4. Do we have control over technology or does it have control over us. In that same vein, have you watched The Social Dilemma (available on Netflix) and if so what did you think?

                Whether we realize it or not, technology is controlling our lives.  Advertisements.  Politics.  News.  Social interaction.  What do you do if you have a question about something?  Pick up your phone or dart over to your computer and ask Google.  No longer do we step over to the bookcase and pull that book off the shelf and open it to find the answer.  I have not watched The Social Dilemma yet.  I do see the negative effect that electronics is having on my grandchildren.  Smart phones.  Smart watches.  IPads.

5. What are three small things that make your day better? 

                I’ve always stated that the three great goods in life are a hot shower (or bath), a comfortable bed, and a strong cup of coffee in the morning.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

                I love having a garden.  Dreaming and planning, I am imagining next year’s garden in my new plot of land.  Flowers, herbs, shrubs, vegetables.  And a small place to sit and relax. 

9 comments:

Sue said...

Enjoyed your responses, Willow, I so agree about technology and how t is affecting our lives.
You are really going to enjoy the view from your kitchen window, before we built our home, I had a blank wall to look at, it was ever so boring, but now I linger as I see so much activity!
Thank you for sharing, and thank you for visiting and for your sweet comment.
Blessings,
Sue

Theresa said...

I get an afternoon slump too. I think I am going to go back to afternoon tea time now that the weather is cooler. That is definitely something nice to do for your daughter :) I am sure your garden is going to be beautiful!

Mevely317 said...

Great response to #4, Willow. Already, I'm re-thinking my answer.
I can't count the number of times my mother tried teaching me to knit. Unfort, she was a rightie and me a southpaw. Sadly, it never took.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Willow,

I try to get my computer time out of the way in the morning hours reserving mid day to late afternoon for activity around the house - chores and exercise. Not being a knitter, I wonder why it's hard for a lefty to teach a right handed person. Is it because it seems backwards to you or the person you're teaching? I can see that coming into place. I find it difficult to back down a hill using my side/rear mirrors. It causes a bit of brain confusion but someone standing behind the car giving directions and I do better. :) I like the instantaneous answers from the Internet but it's good to have other resources available. Technology is like an addiction. It's up to us to not allow it to have control just like anything else. Thanks for joining me yesterday. Have a terrific Thursday!

Barbara said...

A hot shower (or bath), a comfortable bed, and a strong cup of coffee -- you hit the nail on the head with that answer! All are blessings we do well to not take for granted!

Carla from The River said...

I agree with your answer to the technology question .. I have seen the damage in young kids too.
I also like your random. :-) I enjoy my garden too.
Carla

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm afraid I am sitting too much lately. That was nice of you driving your daughter. Also I understand why you wouldn't want to teach someone how to knit. True, I am guilty of googling things all the time. I love your list of three things....perfect!

ellen b. said...

I'm a huge fan of those 3 simple things, too! It will be fun to see what you do with your new space.

Wendy said...

Will be exciting to see your new house and garden. Yes I can imagine that teaching someone to knit right handed as a lefty would be a challenge. I'm sure it's a challenge to knit left handed too. Good choice of 3 things.