Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Hodgepodge 416 on 4/21

 Good morning!  I am a big late posting this morning because we have been having internet issues.  Fortunately, it seems like our provider may have fixed the widespread problem.  Here are my answers to Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Click the link!  FROM THIS SIDE OF THE POND.

From this Side of the Pond


1. Find a penny.  Look at the date and tell us something about your life or what you were doing that year.   So, the first penny I grabbed was a 2020.  We all know that 2020 was boring.  So I took a second penny. 1989.  That was more like it.  In 1989, we were living in West Papua, Indonesia.  We moved from one small village, Sowi Tiga, to the nearby city of Manokwari.  We had lived in Sowi Tiga for three years on the campus of the Erikson Tritt Bible School, but one of the other teachers there needed our housing.  So we were assigned to housing in 'town'.  For the FIRST TIME in all our years in Papua, we had twenty-four hour electricity and a telephone in our house!  Luxury!

2.  Were you given an allowance as a child?  Did you have to earn it in some way?  Did you learn to save money when you were a child or is that something you figured out as an adult?   No, I didn't have a allowance when I was a child.  My brother and I did our chores and were just glad to have food and a home.  I think I learned the importance of saving money from my parents.  And after I was married, I learned even more from my mother-in-law and my husband.

3.  April 23rd is Nation Take A Chance Day...what's a chance you need or want to take?  Hmmm, I might take a chance on being able to travel this summer.  Our first trip will most likely be to Tennessee to visit friends.  And our second trip may be to Illinois and Iowa.

4.  What's some outdated slang you seem to use a little too often?  I can't think of any.  When I asked my hubby, he said, "No, you're too rad for that.  In fact, you're the bee's knees."

5.  It's National Poetry month and I always like to make us work our brains a little...

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

Tulips are yellow

and purple, too.

And here is my grandson New Boy's rendition:

Roses are cute

Violets are too;

But neither of them are

as pretty as you.

6.  Insert your own random thought.   Yesterday was a beautiful warmish spring day.  Overnight, it snowed.


May your week be bright and cheerful.  May your internet work.  And may you have no snow.


8 comments:

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams said...

Hello! Stopping by from the Hodgepodge. We got snow last night too! I seriously didn't think it would snow, so I didn't cover my plants. Oops. Here's hoping they will be okay! You must have some amazing stories to tell about living in Indonesia. I can't imagine how fun and difficult that must have been. Have a great day!

Cathy said...

Love your grandson's poem. We had snow too, but looking out now it appears to be almost gone and I think we had about 1 1/2-2 inches. Melted really fast.

Anonymous said...

Well, they used to say that snow was the poor man’s fertilizer. I don’t know whether that included spring snow! Fortunately, tulips are pretty hardy and never seem to mind a little snow. Mary

Joyce said...

Amen to no snow in late April! Internet issues are such a first world problem, but super annoying nonetheless. We are used to having it work at the touch of a button and when it doesn't it's aggravating. It's a sunny 65 degrees here, but so windy. I will not complain though-ha!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so amazing about where you lived. I'm in awe of you. Have a nice time on your travels. I like those two suggestions your husband gave you but I know I've never used them. I enjoyed your poems. Oh my, snow....unbelievable!


Just a side note. I noticed your post goes over your blog design. I get my posts delivered from Feedly. I can copy Joyce's post from there before I even open her post up. Then it seems to say in the lines better.

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Although we never stopped our US travels in 2020, we sure don't plan to deny ourselves this year. We have flown to South Bend, IN, will be traveling to north of Little Rock, AR next weekend, and then in June plan to drive again to northern Indiana then road trip to Colorado before coming back to Texas. I have taken an extended road trip by myself without reservation. We must continue or at the least begin again to live our lives and enjoy the days we have without fear. So, plan those trips and enjoy.

ellen b. said...

Oops! Surprise snow. I hope you take those trips!