Friday, April 28, 2023

Finishing Off the Month of April

 Better Late Than Never.  It's Friday evening and I am finally slowing down a bit to sit and focus on writing my Friday Fave Fives for this last week of April.  It has been a busy week, but it is important remember all the blessings, too. (this link will take you to join in or read others' FFF)

1.  On Monday, we took a day trip to Amish country and visited Lehman's to find a replacement for  the glass chimney for my oil lamp which broke when we moved.  I have searched and searched for a chimney but couldn't find one anywhere.  I knew Lehman's had them, so we just did the day trip and found other items that we knew the store would have like a replacement belt for my old treadle sewing machine.

2.  The Professor put up the pole to place something new by the back patio.  A bird feeder!  I'm loving watching the birds and learning to identify them.

3.  Wednesday afternoon I tackled a chore I had been ignoring for awhile (longer than I realized).  I filed all the papers that had been piling up in the file basket!  It took me hours but I did.  I really do love to file, so it wasn't as odious for me as it might have been for other people.

4.  Yesterday, we drove out to where we were able to pick up the pieces that will become our bee hive!  We are both excited about having our very own hive in our backyard.  The woman who brought out our hive also mentioned a beekeeping group that meets once a month in our area.  YES, we are excited about our new sweet adventure into beekeeping.

5.  Just this afternoon, The Professor commented that the blessing of having a young man walking out of Lowe's behind us and offering to help us load a heavy piece of lumber and eight cinderblocks into our car needed to be part of my FFF this week.  So YES!  He helped us and we are very thankful for his thoughtfulness and willingness to help.

PS:  you may have noticed the absence of any photos.  My camera and my computer aren't talking to each other right now.  Hopefully, I will figure out why they're mad at each other.



9 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Glad you had a good week. Beekeeping does sound interesting. I hope that you have much success with the venture! Have a nice weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Glad you were able to find a chimney for your oil lamp. I also keep several oil lamps handy here in case of storms. We call them "Hurricane Lamps" for a reason! Beekeeping sounds interesting, but I am afraid I would not be very good at it...sounds a bit too "stinging" of an adventure for me, but I am happy for you. I bet you will get some great honey after a while! It sounds like you are embracing country life very well! I hope you get your camera/computer woes figured out soon. I would love to see pictures of your place! And how nice of that young man to help you with your heavy load! God knew what you needed and sent help right on time! I love it when things like that happen. Thank you for sharing with us. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have an old treadle machine. My great grandmother’s. It was working for my mom, but the belt broke when my grandsons (when little) absolutely could not keep from pedaling it whenever they saw it. Lol. Now I know where to get a new one. Thank you for the info.
Bees! That sounds like an interesting new hobby to dive into. I hope it works out well for you.
Mary

Schotzy said...

How wonderful when we enjoy the aid and endearing personal experiences with strangers in the world. It really touches the heart and leaves us with a feeling of hope which is so needed in our world! I was reminded of our trip to Amish Country last weekend which we enjoyed so much, especially getting out in the country stores and just milling about! I know what you mean about bird feeders. We moved ours by the den window where I sit to do my journalling. I want to start a bird series. How marvelous you are becoming bee keepers. That is awesome and so needed! You did have a busy week! But so rewarding! Have a restful weekend! God bless you., Schotzy

ellen b. said...

A friend of ours here in Colville keeps bees and she had 30 gallons of honey last year. We like to buy honey from her. Hooray for young people who still look out for us older people! Hope your computer and photo source resolve their issues soon.

Barbara Harper said...

It's good you found a place that had the items you needed. I need to get back into filling my bird feeder. They were going through it so quickly, it was hard to keep up with. But I do miss watching them. I enjoy filing, too, when I make time for it. A bee hive! A new adventure indeed! That's great that someone came along and was willing to help at just the needed time.

Faith said...

Sounds like a wonderful week and yay for the Lowes employee!!

Funny story about birds: we built our house during my maternity leave year for oldest girl Courtney. We moved into the home in August 1994. In February 1995 when she was 18 mo old, we only had a concrete slab patio where a future deck would be built come July 1995. Well since it was winter, I would just scatter birdseed on the patio and we would watch the birds from the sliding glass door in the family room. One day after getting her out of daycare (i had returned to my teaching job in July 1994 as I was only allowed a one year leave), she was playing in the family room and I was prepping dinner. I said Courtney look at that birdie..he's so cute". ( there was one hopping all around the snow). She said and I kid you not "Actually Mommy that's a juncoe" I was like what the heck?? i picked up the petersons guide to birds to check and sure enough she was correct. Found out later that that was the book dave would "read" to her (pointing to pics and labeling) in the evenings when i was writing IEPS. (yes she spoke early...her first two words were at 8 mo). Ever sinve that next summer, we have always had 1-2 bird feeders in our backyard and that story gets told over and over. :)

Wendy said...

I had to laugh at the idea of your camera and computer not talking to one another. I hope you can be a peacemaker between them. Oooh how exciting to be getting your own bee hive. And I love watching the birds on my feeder. Hope you had a good weekend.

Susanne said...

Glad you found a chimney for your lamp and what you needed for the sewing machine. And a nice day trip out of the deal. Good luck on your new endeavor with the bee hive.