Friday, February 02, 2024

Groundhog Fave Fives

 Welcome to Willow's Cottage on this auspicious day when animals predict when spring is coming.  Eleanor Elizabeth is in agreement with all the groundhogs that Spring will arrive sooner rather than later.  Hopefully...

And now it is Friday, February 2nd, still winter.  But the sun is actually shining!  Since it's Friday, it is time for Friday Fave Fives with Susanne and a whole bunch of other people who list five things (and sometimes more) that have blessed them this week.  Here are mine.

1.  A new family member has been added!   Little M was born last Sunday evening.  He is the son of a young man we have known for more than twenty years and who became our 'grandson' just because we love his family so much.  (they're the ones who followed us here to Ohio two years ago)  We haven't met M yet but have seen a couple of photos.

2.  We met a friend and her mother for lunch on Monday.  This friend is very special to us because of her involvement in missions work in Uganda.   She managed the Ugandan Lambs for years and introduced us to Daniel and Mark who we have sponsored for a long time.  She even brought a gift to us from Mark.  (If you have read this blog for a while, you may remember our heartbreak when Daniel passed away three years ago.)  Uganda is dear to our hearts.  Now our friend is living in Hanoi and again working to help the lives of children and young adults.  It was a blessed time.  In my opinion, it is a good thing that she has family living in Ohio, so she visits them every year, and we can see her, too.

3.  That gift from Mark.  A wood carving to hang on our wall!

4.  The weather has moderated a bit and we have been able to take two walks this week.  Yesterday, while we waited for Tall Boy at his piano lesson, we just walked around that neighborhood.  It's the best way to learn your town AND get some exercise at the same time.

5.  I've been planning a rather industrious knitting project.  I have had a big bag of handspun and hand dyed wool sitting in my studio closet for a long time.  The biggest issue was that there wasn't enough of any basic color to use for a vest or sweater.  So I decided to pull out my spinning wheel and spin up some undyed wool.  First I had to finish spinning some lovely grey alpaca from Peru.  Yesterday, I finished it. 

Now I am on to working on the wool.  I am pleased that I finally pulled out the wheel and am actually getting some spinning done.  These are the dyed colors.  I chose a basic beige/grey wool which I think will work well with all these bright colors.




I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to use my hands to create such beauty.


13 comments:

Melanie said...

How great you were able to meet with your friend for lunch. What a blessing she has been to those whose lives she has touched.
I really am impressed that you spin your own wool. At first when I saw the gray wool, I thought "What a lovely color!" Such a soft grey color!
I have nothing on the needles at the moment, but I plan to begin that blue scarf with my daughter next week.
Have a great weekend.

Susan said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Can you post a picture of your wheel? How did you learn to do that? I wish I would have learned to crochet when my grandma wanted to teach me. I was too much of a tomboy who wanted to play outside. I want to get back to knitting even if it is just a simple scarf. Enjoy your weekend, Willow!

Wendy said...

Congratulations on the new arrival. How lovely to be able to catch up with your friend and what a lovely gift from Uganda. I'm in awe of your crafting skills - I need wool to come in a ball that I can just start knitting with lol. Have a good weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow - I love that beautiful homespun wool! Can't wait to see what you create with it. Congrats on having a beautiful new baby in your life. What a blessing. I love that wall plaque from Uganda. What a lovely treasure! Have a good weekend. See you again soon!

Anonymous said...

I just watched a knitter who says she never has a stash - she only “project” knits. She has a great YouTube channel: The Fruity Knitter. Your yarn is such pretty colors.
Babies are always so exciting. Glad you have another one nearby.

Barbara H. said...

I like the grey wool as well as the dyes ones. So pretty. I admire your ability to spin, dye, and knit!

How fun to visit with your friend who worked in Uganda, Love that gift from Mark.

We're finally seeing sunshine, too, after several overcast days. So heartening. Yay or new babies!

nikkipolani said...

Seeing coils of the wool that you've spun makes me think it difficult to want to use the wool and have it, too. Those bright colors are very attractive.

How lovely to get to visit with someone precious to you doing work that is significant. God is at work in so many ways.

While you have moderated weather, ours is "severe" enough for freeway signs advising travel avoidance for the next five days. Enjoy your walks and getting to know your neighborhood.

Faith said...

WOW that wood carving is stunning!! I love it.

What an awesome thing the missionary friend is doing. That's a huge blessing.

The colors of your homespun wool are just beautiful!! Can't wait to see what your hands will create.

Thank you for saying you'll pray for me. the headaches never really have gone away in the last 2 years (2 yrs in March). I've had days...usually 3-4 at a time when they're gone but January has been just awful. Trusting God......

Have a good weekend and enjoy the sun! Today (Sat) we FINALLY have some after 2 weeks of GLOOM. so thankful for God's Son and the Sun.

Karen said...

Congratulations on the new little one!

The colors in your wool are so yummy. I'm curious what your spinning wheel looks like. I'm imagining the old-fashioned kind I would see in fairy tales and pioneer shows!

The gift from your Ugandan friend is beautiful. It's so nice that you can stay in contact with longtime friends, too, going to lunch.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. Have a good week!

Susanne said...

Congratulations to all on the birth of Baby M. That wood gift is gorgeous! Those colors are all so gorgeous put together that way. What possibilities! Enjoy your sun.

Tom said...

...those are some luscious colors!

ellen b. said...

A baby is such a sweet blessing. You had some very special visits. Happy February to you!

Dianna said...

You had some very special blessings last week, Willow! I'm glad that you were able to have lunch with your friend...and what a precious gift she brought to you from Mark.

Our grandson lives in Ohio and we visited him last July for a few days. It's a beautiful state.