Friday, December 14, 2007

Teaching Kindergarten

A job is a job, most of the time. You can hate your job or love it. My job is okay and I'm okay at it. But some days, I've just gotta laugh at kindergarteners!
One of my duties is to correct the homework. Each week we focus on a letter and the students draw or cut out pictures of objects that begin with that letter. For example, M. Moose, Mom. Or T. Truck, Turkey.
This week's letter was V. So we looked at pictures of Vases, Vacuums, Vests, Vultures, Volcanoes. The homework pages reflected what we had learned about the letter V during class. Except for one little guy. He chose to cut out pictures of Variety Pack (cereal) and
VODKA!
Sometimes my job makes me laugh.

9 comments:

Sher said...

That's hilarious! Well, at least he learned about the letter V!

kari and kijsa said...

Well- he definitely got the homework! Very creative!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Mama Mia said...

hehehe

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That is a funny story. I bet you have more stories like that.

Kiti said...

I don't understand why it's supposed to be funny. After all, vodka DOES start with a V. The kid was just doing his homework.

Mary said...

Kids are so much fun. Well, variety pack cereal and vodka do start with the letter "V." That is so funny. I am envious of your job. I just love working with kids.

Blessings,
Mary

Anonymous said...

that is funny. you have to wonder what the kids home life is like.

That also reminds me of stories my mom would tell me (she is a retired K teacher). Once she told me that this one kid kept sitting upside down in his chair and she asked him why he was doing that. He said that he was training to be an astronaut!

kate said...

Who'd have thunk it? Kids are so resourceful and surprising. It must be so refreshing working with them (and tiring too!)

Iris said...

I remember doing that same task myself in Kindergarten 33 years ago. My parents must have been out of town while we were doing the letter F because I remember being at my aunt and uncle's house and asking to look through their Sears catalog to cut out something to bring to class the next day.
I picked "frigerator" and proudly brought it to show to my aunt only to be told by her that the real word was "refrigerator" and that my picture wouldn't do. I think I was shocked to find that what we called it at home was just a nickname!