Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Memorial Day Hodgepodge


 1.  We're approaching Memorial Day Weekend in the US of A...will you mark this in some way?  If so tell us how.  According to a list found here some things you might do in honor of Memorial Day would be-shop in a Veteran owned business, learn to play a patriotic song, watch the Memorial Day concert, take a virtual tour of the White House, write a letter to a soldier or a soldier's family, fly a flag, attend a Memorial Day parade, donate flowers for a soldier's grave, put together a care package for a soldier, and take a moment of silence at 3PM (the National Moment of Remembrance)...of the ideas mentioned are there any you will try?

The Professor is a veteran, as were both of our fathers.  And our son.  Actually, our son currently serves in the US Army Reserve as a military chaplain.  When he was stationed in Afghanistan, he procured an American flag that was flown over the base where he was stationed and brought it home to his dad.  (This is a normal thing--to obtain flags--they are flown only one day and then retired, so the flags are given/sold to soldiers.)  So, we will fly the flag on Memorial Day.

2. What's something recently that made you 'come to attention'?

I need to be attentive to watering the garden.  Things dry out very quickly.

3.  In what area of your life do you need to 'soldier on'?

I do not like humidity.  But now I live in a rather humid climate (during the summer).  I just need to 'soldier on' and deal with it.

4.  As a long weekend approaches and summer draws near, what's a favorite food from your childhood you think about adding to the menu?

Anything marionberry.  Pie, Dumplings, Crisp.  Marionberries are a type of blackberry.  My grandma made THE BEST.

5.  Your favorite patriotic movie?

Mrs. Miniver

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Have you ever said goodbye to a son or daughter (or spouse) who is on his/her way to a battleground deployment?  I have.  It hurts.  And I've watched my daughter and daughter-in-law say goodbye.  Even today, just remembering makes me emotional.  If you haven't, then you have no idea of the sacrifice of families.  


4 comments:

Claire S said...

I have a couple jalapeno plants that had been doing really well without too much attention but it got hot without rain lately here so I have to stay on watering those.

Carla from The River said...

Thank you for your random.
Praying for our military and military families with you.

And I agree about watering the potted up plants and garden!

Jennifer Dungey said...

I can definitely relate about the humidity! I've had lowgrade stress about summer all year long because of how much the humidity effects me (not good). But, gotta soldier on and am going to try to make the best of these summer months with my family! All the best to you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is a beautiful story about the flag your son brought home for his father. Yes you do need to soldier on and hopefully your body will adjust. I don't care for humidity either. I can't imagine anyone really liking it! No I haven't had to say goodbye to anyone leaving for service. ((Hugs))