Friday, October 12, 2007

730 Days

Happy Two Year Blogiversary to me!

I did not realize until earlier this week that I was coming quickly up to my second year anniversary of blogging. I checked and, sure enough, I wrote my first post on October 12, 2005. When I started the blog, my focus was simply to communicate with my children. I wanted to explore the possibility that forcing me to write would make me a better writer. I thought I would be chronicling the events of my neighborhood, the issues I encountered living in the inner city of Los Angeles. I really did not expect anyone to be reading what I wrote except my kids. I decided to name my blog after the little custom knitting business I had when I lived in Oregon--Willow's Cottage. Willow because that was my nickname, Cottage because I have never aspired to live in a big house, just a little cottage with hydrangeas and willows and roses and lavender in the garden.







One day Chaplain Dan sent me a link to a knitting blog. Until then, I had had no idea that there was a big, big world out there, that there were lots and lots of people in blogland who were writing and publishing their photos, ideas, and thoughts about knitting and other artwork. I read, I lurked, I learned. Then, one day, someone left me a comment! Wow! People actually read what I wrote!


I think that was the point when the focus changed for me. I paid more attention to HOW I wrote as well as WHAT I wrote. I learned to post photos. I paid more attention to the content and composition of the pictures. I looked at the world through a new lens--what would make an interesting post, how to photograph something or someone to best advantage.






Last summer, I took a writing class that was taught by a good friend of mine. I have learned to more purposely and carefully craft my words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs . In the past two years, yes, I have forced myself to write and I think I've become a better writer. I think. I hope.


My focus here at Willow's Cottage is to share my family, my home, my friends, my garden, my fiber arts.





Wherever I go, there I am. Even though our address has changed three times in the past four and a half years, I am still Willow and I still live in Willow's Cottage with my knitting needles, yarn, spinning wheel and camera, my basil seeds and pots of lavender and bougainvillea.




Thank you, all! I love your comments, your kind words and encouragement. I do think of you as I sit at my sweet little laptop in my sweet little cottage and hope you enjoy what you read here. I have no intention of suspending writing this blog. I'm having so much fun making friends and learning from you all!


Here's to another 730 days!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog very much- you are a kindred spirit! Keep up the good work!

Kristin

Mary said...

willow,

I really enjoy your blog and drop by everyday to find out if you've added anything new. Your photos and commentary are wonderful. I'm glad to have met you. You're a dear.

Mary

Beach Girl said...

Hi Willow~

I've been on a stress break, but I'm back and it's good to stop in.

Happy Blogiversary to you!

Vanessa

Beatriz said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Willow, congratulations on your two-year anniversary. I enjoy reading your writings and of course, the photos.

I had to tell you about yet another interesting "coincidence" - my husband and I have attended GBC here in LB for about 20 years! We've seen it grow and change through three pastors, and we love it there! Must have seen you there at some point!

Barbara said...

Congratulations on 2 years.

I agree with you in that blogging really does cause one to look at the world in a more detailed way and take more notice of things as you know they will be published.

I do agree that blogging does enrich ones life too and one learns lots.

I am glad that you are continuing on. I would miss you if you did not.
Have a great week.

Bethany said...

I've come to think of you as a special blog friend and feel so similiarly about this blog group of friends! It's impossible to explain to someone who doesn't...and the support and encouragement is so unbelievable. I learn so much from your writing and seeing your projects. You are a blessing!!!

Barbara said...

A swathe of green grass on the pavement is very common over here.

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary, Willow! Here's to many more!

Thank you for all the support you've given me. It helped and it is very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy your blog and try to stop in as much as I can. Congratulations on your two year blogiversary!