Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Laboring

Wednesday Hodgepodge
I am joining this fun group of people
Click the link to join, too.


1. Something you've done in recent days or months that might be described as a labor of love?
        Since we are staying with our daughter while we search for a home to buy, we have been keeping house for her.  Laundry.  Dishes.  Cleaning.  Yard work.  It's a fair trade, though. Biggest labor of love?  Taking her ice packs several times a day to place on her ankle as she recovers from the ankle surgery.

2. Last time you 'worked your fingers to the bone'?
        Yesterday? Playing nursemaid to my daughter and granddaughter who are BOTH on crutches right now.  Actually, I think the hardest I've worked lately was packing boxes during our move.

3. According to a recent survey people named the following ten jobs as the hardest-nurse, doctor, paramedic, police officer, firefighter, surgeon, healthcare worker, bomb squad, farmer, and prison warden. Of the jobs listed which would you say is the hardest? The one you'd most like to do? Least like to do? What's one job you would add to the list?
        I would say that, at least right now, FIREFIGHTER is the hardest job.  I lived in wildfire country (SoCal) for a long time, and I know how hard those firefighters work.  We have friends who are firemen, and we know their fire season schedules.
        Which job would l like most?  Nurse.  I always wanted to be a nurse.
        Least want to do?  Prison warden.

4. A recipe you make that is labor intensive, but worth it?
        We love our Indonesian food!  There are a couple of recipes that just take time and a lot of cutting of ingredients (mostly veggies). Gado-gado is mix of cooked and raw veggies served with peanut sauce.  And no, store bought peanut sauce just doesn't do it; it's gotta be our own peanut sauce.  And then there's curried lentils with roasted vegetables...

5. Last job you did or task you completed that required teamwork?
        My older daughter needed some furniture moved into her garage so the flooring in two rooms can be installed.  So The Professor (my husband) and I helped her and her eleven year old son move book shelves, book boxes, an elliptical machine and a day bed (with trundle).  It took all four of us to move that bed!  But really, The Professor and I do see all of life as 'teamwork'. WE do the grocery shopping.  WE cook meals.  WE do laundry. 

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
        All I can think about right now is my family and friends whose homes are in danger of burning (and my high school friend has already lost her home!) from the West Coast wild fires.  I keep praying for their safety.

6 comments:

Martha said...

The fires are certainly out of control and I pray for all involved. It's a good thing you always wanted to be a nurse since you are caring for not one but two on crutches at the same time! Now I'm craving Indonesian food!

Theresa said...

It is so great to have family help out. I am sure your daughter is so thankful! Hope both of them recover quickly. I have never had Indonesian food but it does sound like a lot of work!

Barbara said...

So sorry both your daughter and granddaughter are on crutches! This is one of those times when truth is stranger than fiction! The timing of your house-hunting and needing to stay with family to help them out is clearly the Lord's doing!

I love peanut sauce!

Gracie Saylor said...

Amen to your prayers, Willow. Here southeast of Portland the skies have been full of smoke obscuring the blue with orange-yellow-brown-black...
I am so glad you are able to be a part of a loving family team!!! Blessings!!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Great post. I'm with you on the importance of teamwork in marriage. So important. If more couples had that philosophy, the divorce rate might be lower. Sounds like you are staying really busy. Hope you find a great home and that your daughter and granddaughter heal quickly. See you again soon!

ellen b. said...

The fires are so widespread on the western side of the US. Praying here, too. Yikes granddaughter on crutches, too!! So sorry. Hope you have a great Friday and weekend.