Sunday, January 20, 2008

Back To History Challenge



I came across a reading challenge blog in December and was intrigued by the concept. Basically you commit to reading 12 books in 2008, one a month, either historical fiction or historical nonfiction. I enjoy reading and I enjoy history, and since I was once a US History teacher, I decided to get myself back into the habit of 'bettering my mind' by reading in an academic area.


So I've joined. As usual, I'm a month behind in signing up and in choosing my books. I have made a List on the side bar here on my blog and have listed six books so far. I must confess that I have in the past year or two started reading four of the six books and have gotten distracted. This is my effort to encourage myself to FINISH reading the books I have started.


So far, this is my list:


A Distant Mirror, Barbara W. Tuchman
Europe in the Fourteenth Century

Faith and Treason, Antonia Fraser
Story of the Gunpowder Plot (Guy Fawkes)

Pat Nixon, The Untold Story, by Julie Eisenhower
Biography by Pat's daughter Julie

The Bounty, Caroline Alexander
The true story of the Mutiny on The Bounty

Turning Points, Mark A. Noll
Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity

Women's Work: The First Twenty Thousand Years, Elizabeth Wayland Barber
Women, Cloth and Society in Early Times


I will be adding six more books to the list as I decide which ones I want to read. I think I'll be adding some children's books because I have a rather large collection of children's books, many of them history, and many of them that I haven't read yet.


If anyone has suggestions for good historical children's book (both fiction and nonfiction), please let me know. Thanks!

15 comments:

Mary said...

Willow,

I'm glad you joined the history reading challenge. I also joined and have read the first of the books that I chose.

If you are interested at all in Canadian history, read "The Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada. It is very interesting.

Another good one is Hidden in Plain View: A Secret Story of Quilts and the Underground Railroad by Jacqueline L. Tobin

I am going to check out the some children's history books as well. There are some great ones out there.

Please be sure and drop by my blog and enter my giveaway.

Blessings,
Mary

roxie said...

I remember reading, "The King Must Die" in 7th grade and thinking it was a cool story. Good for you! Best of luck sticking with your intention. You have nothing else to do with your time, right?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember if Johnny Tremain was very historically accurate, but I enjoyed it as a kid.

Bethany said...

I will have to ask my kids for their suggestions! I love this idea. I already have a stack of books I just got that will probably take me until June to read! You'll have to post about each one you read!

Willow said...

I think part of the challenge is writing reviews of the books.

Anne, I remember reading Johnny Tremain a long time ago and I have it on my book shelf. I'll have to pull it out again and read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Roxie, who is the author of The King Must Die?

Tracy said...

Hello! Thank you for stopping by to see me, which in turn led me here to your wonderful blog! Best wishes and fun with your reading challenge! You have a great reading list there. I look forward to coming back here to see your reading, knitting and much else. Happy week! :O)

Barbara said...

Happy reading. My next door neighbour is descended from Captain Bligh of the Bounty. His surname is Bligh and he looks like him too.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

This sounds like an interesting (and informative!) challenge. Good for you. I'll be interested to see how your list develops. As I kid I read many historical novels and biographies, but could not tell you the name of any of them all these years later, unfortunately. But I can recommend Sarum and London by Edward Rutherford (they are quite long) as adult historical fiction following the establishment of Salisbury and London from prehistoric to fairly modern times.

Lovella ♥ said...

Hi Willow, thank you for coming along with us in the walking club. There is nothing special to do but keep track of your steps walked per day .. . 5 days a week and then we collect the average on Saturdays. Everyone sets their own goals .. .Welcome to the club.

It looks like you'll be busy between your reads ..

Heather said...

What a cool goal for the new year. I really intend on reading... but I usualy grab my sketch book instead. Maybe you'll rub off on me. Hugs!

Jani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jani said...

Spellcheck is a wonderful thing.

Love this idea (and your blog). I remember a series of historical biographies that I read as a kid - there was a great one on Florence Nightingale that really stayed with me. Wonder if those are still around?

Meanwhile, I'm signed up ... wish me luck, okay?

Knitting Linguist said...

What a great challenge for yourself (and you know I love at least one of the books on that list!). For children's history, have you ever read Ishi: The Last of his Tribe by Theodora Kroeber (rather than the one by her husband)? (I may have the second half of that title wrong.) I'd recommend it highly. Can't wait to see what else you decide on!

Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, and it's not a kids' book, but have you read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? Would that count?

Tammy said...

Interesting list of books you have so far. My daughter and I are going to read together the "Faith and Treason" book. It sounds interesting and she wants to know more about the Gunpowder Plot.