Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ten Degrees and Counting

Memo: Pls B kind to Wllw. She had a tuff day.


The weather outside is frightful.


Last night it was 10 degrees fahrenheit.

WHAT?! And we thought global warming was the problem. Honestly, Michigan could use some global warming.


I did write Michigan. And yes, that's where The Professor, Chaplain Dan, The Princess and I are right now. We are here to bid farewell to Chaplain Dan for awhile as he goes away on a deployment with the US Army.
We left our wonderful sunny Southern California 70+ degree weather and flew to Phoenix to get our connecting flight to Detroit. The flight from Phoenix was two hours late so we landed in Detroit at 3:20am Detroit time. By the time we got our luggage, waited at the shuttle, picked up our rental car, drove to the hotel and checked in, it was 5:00am. Wake up time was 9:00am.
This was the view out the front windshield before The Professor scraped the ice off.

And this was the view from my side window. At 4:30am.

Speaking of ice scrapers--Southern Californians do not understand the concept of an ice scraper. The stores don't sell them. When we lived in Oregon we had ice scrapers, one in each car. When we moved to Los Angeles, we gave them away. We had a lovely little going away ceremony for them.

Anyway, here we are in the land of ice and snow until Saturday. After I've had a little nap I'm sure I'll be interested in the surroundings and activities.

15 comments:

Kiti said...

My car iced over in Visalia. And lo and behold, I had NO ICE SCRAPER. I used an old credit card.

roxie said...

Bless your dear warm heart, and much love to M.Mia and Chaplin Dan. I am praying for lots of warm and cozy indoors places for you untill you get home.

The ice picture was juxtaposed with the green snug sweater photo and echoed it quite nicely.

Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob said...

Don't you love our lovely warm Michigan winter. Just think its warm weather...for a penguin. :)

Bethany said...

We've been shivering here too! It was 0 degrees this morning with the windchill!!! Stay warm!--it's especially cold when you're not used to it!

kari and kijsa said...

Hello sweet friend!

We had ice all over our windows this morning!

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Anonymous said...

We have -10 Celsius (C) on this morning it is 14 as Fahrenheit (F). This is quite normal here in Finland.

By the way... I tried to write a part of the Black Rabbit's Diary in English. (My English is really poor...but I hope you can understand the story.)

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oh you poor thing! I hate 10 degrees F with a passion! That's why I've sworn never to live in Colorado again (where I spent a lot of my childhood and teens). You are very very brave!

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Barbara said...

Your ice patterns remind me of when I was a child and we had ice patterns on the inside of our bedroom windows when we woke in the morning as there was no such thing as central heating in those days.

My love and prayers go out to you and your son for peace of mind and protection.

ancient one said...

I came over to see how you were doing in the California weather today... and I find you in Michigan..LOL I'm glad you got a chance to see Dan off...May he return soon, safe and sound!

kate said...

Willow,

It's hard to keep track of you these days. Michigan must have been a shock! The ice pictures are pretty, but brr, give me summer any day!

I am glad that you had a chance to see Chaplain Dan before he leaves. When you return to California, you'll appreciate the warmth so much more!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Willow - brrrrr! I admit I don't really know what COLD is, and I've never seen an ice scraper!

At first glance I thought that first ice pattern was a new knitting pattern!

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Ok...like every time I come to your blog you make me more and more homesick for my Native California...I long for Sunshine!!!((Hugs))

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi again Willow - I got your comment. Now that you mention it, I DID notice that 10:30 pm plane last night...I was still awake and if I'd known you were on it, I would have waved back!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

They go over every night about that time...I'm used to it. I wonder how often they are carrying people I know? Never thought about that before!