Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bah Humbug

I am not yet into the Christmas spirit.

Bah humbug! Blogger won't let me upload photos of my finished green sweater.

Bah humbug! I have more than 100 pages of my textbook to read, study, memorize, digest, understand, comprehend, contextualize, strategize, whatever, in the next week so I will be prepared to take the three exams for CTEL (Certification for Teaching English Learners) on December 8th (I had the date wrong, oops!). The text is titled The Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development Handbook, A Complete K-12 Reference Guide and it is 344 pages of very dense educationese language. I have been reading every afternoon until I am too sleepy to continue marking important phrases and sentences with my yellow highlighter and then typing up notes on the laptop for studying next week. I'd much rather be writing a Christmas letter and addressing Christmas cards, but I cannot focus on anything but the test prep. I just don't have time.

Bah humbug! I don't feel like I can take the time tonight to drive up to Ventura for knitting night at Anacapa Fine Yarns. I'd love to go and sit with other knitters and talk about my Christmas present plans and the fact that the green sweater is ready to be mailed off to Kiti tomorrow. But, bah humbug, I really need to read one more chapter of TCLADH tonight.

I will get into the Christmas spirit on December 9th. It would also help if blogger would let me show off the finished sweater.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

You will be able to post tomorrow!!! (At least you can post eventually!!I'm still waiting...)
I did not know about the state of PA being so bad about homeschooling in the past... they are now one of the few states to offer a free cyber charter school with k12 curriculum. I used to be more opinionated about the type of school, but with all of our different experiences, it really depends on the child and the actual school. My kids are doing wonderfully in their public school...we know we're lucky in that respect. They happen to have exceptional teachers right now.
I have put off Christmas a bit too with all my work...I just want to make ornaments for our ornament exchange and I haven't even started the Christmas card design yet!!!!! But I am enjoying the kids' excitement :)

roxie said...

Willow, you are an over-achiever to the marrow of your bones. I confidently expect reports of A plus scores on that test. And then, Halleluia! Christmas can come to Willowtown!

Robin said...

There's nothing like a little pressure to dampen the Christmas spirit. It will all work out - just think after December 8th it will be all better!

And I can't wait to see pictures of the green sweater!

Heather said...

You do have a lot on your plate. When your big push of stuff has passed wathc or read a Christmas classic. That will get you in the mood.

kate said...

Bah humbug - I'm sorry that you have to try and digest that many pages. It would be different if it was an entertaining or well-written book.

I think it's especially hard not to be able to go to your knitting night.

Blogger can be a pain with uploading photographs. I would love to see Kiti's sweater before it is mailed!!

Good luck with your studying - try to take some time to something fun during the weekend!!

Mama Mia said...

I'm gonna call you 'Mama Scrooge' until Dec. 9th. :o) But only because I'm bah-humbugging as well. I skipped my last class today to come home because I was soaked to the bone and freezing from getting caught in a downpour half-way across campus. Hubby picked me up and I'm taking the time to clean, since I haven't been able to since Thanksgiving.

Then..maybe then.. I shall get around to Christmas decorations.

Nothing like tests and work to put a damper on your holdiay spirit, eh? But you will do FANTASTICALLY on the exam; I have every confidence in you! :o)