This week's Fave Five:
1. Our normal blue skies had lots of clouds and that made for beautiful formations, plays of light and shadow.
2. We had beautiful sunsets this week. Tuesday evening as we left our local polling place, the sun was setting and the colors were vivid pink and orange.
3. It rained three different days and for a water starved Southern California, the rain was so very welcome. I like my rain in small doses and that is how we got it this week. One morning it even rained just before dawn and then by the time I left for school, the sun was shining.
4. We received a short email from an American family who is currently living in the village where we lived in Papua during the 1980s. The note said that the people in the village remember us and talk about us often. That was an encouragement and blessing for us!
5. This afternoon I cooked an Indonesian chicken dish called Opor Ayam that features spices not usually used in American cuisine -serai, laos, kemiri nuts- fried with garlic and onion and all simmered in coconut milk, and we ate it served over rice (of course!) The whole house smelled heavenly all afternoon!
6. I'm going to add a sixth fave. I did not work today and spent the entire time in the house doing housewifey things like laundry, dishes, and cooking. I enjoyed the relaxation of the routine and found it restful.
For more Fave Fives, go to Susanne's blog Living to Tell the Story.