Friday, November 07, 2008

Friday Fave Five


This week's Fave Five:

1. Our normal blue skies had lots of clouds and that made for beautiful formations, plays of light and shadow.

2. We had beautiful sunsets this week. Tuesday evening as we left our local polling place, the sun was setting and the colors were vivid pink and orange.


3. It rained three different days and for a water starved Southern California, the rain was so very welcome. I like my rain in small doses and that is how we got it this week. One morning it even rained just before dawn and then by the time I left for school, the sun was shining.

4. We received a short email from an American family who is currently living in the village where we lived in Papua during the 1980s. The note said that the people in the village remember us and talk about us often. That was an encouragement and blessing for us!

5. This afternoon I cooked an Indonesian chicken dish called Opor Ayam that features spices not usually used in American cuisine -serai, laos, kemiri nuts- fried with garlic and onion and all simmered in coconut milk, and we ate it served over rice (of course!) The whole house smelled heavenly all afternoon!

6. I'm going to add a sixth fave. I did not work today and spent the entire time in the house doing housewifey things like laundry, dishes, and cooking. I enjoyed the relaxation of the routine and found it restful.

For more Fave Fives, go to Susanne's blog Living to Tell the Story.

9 comments:

ellen b. said...

Hi Willow! So glad you had time relaxing doing housewifey things! The pictures are great. What a wonderful Sunset shot!! See ya later...

Susanne said...

A day off to just do housewifey things. That sounds so good to me. Your sky shot with the plane is great! And the sunset is just beautiful. I've never heard of those spices at all. Sounds like an interesting dish.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful sky pictures!

We have friends who are missionaries in Papua, New Guinea.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I enjoyed reading this! So much to be thankful for. That Indonesian dish you cooked sounds wonderful....I guess it's good we live in the very diverse SoCal and all those exotic spices and ingredients are not so difficult to find.

Dorothy said...

Oh, Willow, that sunset is gorgeous! And I am glad you got to relax and do housewifey things.

Unknown said...

That is an amazing sunset. Great list this week! And what fun to have a whole day off to play at home

Dorothy said...

Hi Willow,

Thanks for stopping by the cottage. Crystal Lake, IL is one of the far northwestern suburbs of Chicago. It is about an hour from Wheaton which is where our daughter went to college.

It does seem like we have some overlapping geographical history, doesn't it? My husband grew up in the Portland, OR area...Sandy, OR to be exact. I moved there with my family as a young adult and that is where we met. Then God took us away from that area but most of my family remains there.

I am looking forward to your thankfulness posts!

Lovella ♥ said...

I loved number four Willow, which likely made you think of number 5.
Oh your sun shots were wonderful. . .oh. . did you say send rain? Yikes, it looks like you were being really thrifty with your portion and generous with the left overs. . .thanks. . .

The Correspondent said...

What a great list, Willow! I especially like #6 ... Oh, to be alone in my own home to get some dejunking and reorganizing done.

I also love the idea of posting a month's worth of thanksgiving entries. I might borrow this idea for Thanksgiving week.